Need some tips

Robert n

Hi just fit some new brake pads and now when I ride I carnt stop pulling the front brake when I try to do stuff with my short fingers  Iv adjusted it as much as poss but it’s still too far out  never come across this before  was wondering if I took some fluid out it might help thanks 

1 hour ago, jonnyc21 said:

The doesn't sounds like a fluid level issue... did you flush and re-bleed the system after replacing the pads?  If not that is the first thing I would do and then re-adjust the lever.  Good luck. 

No i just pushed the pistons back i didnt take the lid off if that would make a difference thanks 

If it really is a short finger issue, as it happens. The only way to get the lever closer is to grind a little off the push pin. That is the little part the lever pushes on. Just take a little off at a time till you get it right.

• Like 4

Go back over what you have done, if you are not mechanically minded then get some one who is to check that everything is in the correct place. New or worn pads should not on a hydraulic system make any difference to lever travel, only air or a leak will cause spongy feeling at the lever. Therefore it could be that the master cylinder operating bar/pin has been pulled back and is not in the piston but sitting on the outer edge of the piston...difficult to achieve but too much force could do it...As its an essential to have working properly please double check what you have done before riding. There are dog leg levers that allow smaller length fingers to fit the lever blade comfortably. Has your lever got an external adjuster as this could be part of the issue. Let us know what you find.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, section swept said:

Go back over what you have done, if you are not mechanically minded then get some one who is to check that everything is in the correct place. New or worn pads should not on a hydraulic system make any difference to lever travel, only air or a leak will cause spongy feeling at the lever. Therefore it could be that the master cylinder operating bar/pin has been pulled back and is not in the piston but sitting on the outer edge of the piston...difficult to achieve but too much force could do it...As its an essential to have working properly please double check what you have done before riding. There are dog leg levers that allow smaller length fingers to fit the lever blade comfortably. Has your lever got an external adjuster as this could be part of the issue. Let us know what you find.

I copied how they were in but ill double check its not spongey the brake is good but the lever is far out compared to what is was even with the adjuster all the way out so soon as my finger is on it its braking with no play ill go back to the beginning  its obviously something iv done  i wonderd with pushing the pistons back with leaving the cap on its got to much pressure in there  im only guessing though thanks 

6 hours ago, section swept said:

Thanks iv had it all in bits  lost all pressure so stripped the master cylinder  rubbers look good  rebuilt it brake works good but it definitely bits a bit further out with the new pads im wondering if just the pads are alot better and the older pads gave me more to play with  could do with a ET finger ? thanks 

On 8/25/2020 at 11:48 PM, Robert n said:

No i just pushed the pistons back i didnt take the lid off if that would make a difference thanks 

I have never replaced my pads without also re-bleeding the system so not sure if it could, however its possible. 

At this point I would do a flush and re-bleed of the system including re-adjustment of all the settings and see if your still having an issue.  If you are then maybe its as lineaway indicated and your only choice is to modify the pin.  If this is the case maybe you corrected a problem that wasn't causing an issue so you didn't know was an issue and now that is causing the issue you now have.  

My best guess.  

Edit: It would be highly unlikely the new pads by them selves would remove play from the system. Hydraulic systems auto adjust for changes in the system (pad ware, new pads, etc.) so it would be way more likely there is some other factor in play that is the cause of the difference not just new pads.  Happy to be wrong if it really is the pads though... 

Edited by jonnyc21

2 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I have never replaced my pads without also re-bleeding the system so not sure if it could, however its possible. 

At this point I would do a flush and re-bleed of the system including re-adjustment of all the settings and see if your still having an issue.  If you are then maybe its as lineaway indicated and your only choice is to modify the pin.  If this is the case maybe you corrected a problem that wasn't causing an issue so you didn't know was an issue and now that is causing the issue you now have.  

My best guess.  

Edit: It would be highly unlikely the new pads by them selves would remove play from the system. Hydraulic systems auto adjust for changes in the system (pad ware, new pads, etc.) so it would be way more likely there is some other factor in play that is the cause of the difference not just new pads.  Happy to be wrong if it really is the pads though... 

Im thinking the new pads are just miles better so any pull on the leaver makes it work where i was getting away with it before  ill try to adjust to it or try a dog leg leaver as suggested  iv been blessed with hands like shovels but short fingers ? 

• Like 1