2020 model Gasgas 300 TXT starting issue

TAYFIX

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to purchase a year old bike that is a 2020 model, previously I had a 2011 bike that was a 250 txt. I’m relatively new to trials but been around bikes some 40 years, so used to kicking over bigger cc bikes, I also own a 600 single British bike that needs a damn good committed kick. My friend has a 2015 280 txt that I can start ok 1st or 2nd kick, I guess you can tell where this is going, I’ve had the carb completely apart for a good clean checked the needle setting and jets, now all nice and clean and correct size and settings for a 300 Tried different plugs, alas it’s a proper b**ch to start, I’m 6ft tall so not short in the leg, I engage the kicker correctly do all the usual starting gasgas procedure just like on my old bike and on my friends 280. But no it’s a rascal. ( no throttle, tiny throttle, quarter throttle, makes no difference) once started after about ten kicks it runs like a dream.  Does any one else suffer from this on a year old bike, could it be a software issue as apparently there is a diagnostic lead on my bike?

thank you in advance for any help.

When I bought  a new TXT 300  back in 2012/3 the importers said to me on the phone quotes "You know they are hard to start".

They weren't kidding.

My friend, a big lad with size 13 feet could manage it!

15 hours ago, TAYFIX said:

Jet tower? I’ve cleaned everything inside the Keihin carb.

As linaway indicated checking the jet tower is a good idea. 

Also, if you haven't checked and adjusted the jets that could help.  Most people I know running a Keihin find a much larger low speed jet, smaller main, and needle setting change can make a big difference.  It may sound a bit crazy but depending on the bike using anything from a 48-55 low speed, a 120-122 main jet, and a needle set between the middle to one lower around see level can run great.  around 3-5k and a main of 118-120 and as low as 112 can be good at around 10k. 

Good luck.

I feel your pain.... 2017 300 bought because there was nothing else available where I live.

Everyone now tells me there is a knack to starting them, just after they've said 'they're really hard to start".

Speed of kick seems to be the secret, also the angle of your foot. Using your heel can help too, or so it seems. It also seems easier to start on the stand, as the movement of the suspension is reduced. I have a weak right knee, which I'm working on, so have to jump off and start it with my left.

My bike doesn't have a problem, the ex GG works mechanic at my local shop, fires it up first or second kick every time. I just can't discover the knack. I watch guys at my club fire up their 280s with no trouble, it just seems to be the 300s.

I'm coming to the end of my patience with it now however. Making a bike that people can't start seems pretty poor in this day and age, there really shouldn't be a need for The Knack. Toying with spending on a low compression head, in the hope it will improve things, or just trading it in for another Beta. Perhaps not such a capable bike (although for my level that's negligible) but if I can start it without wearing myself out in the process, that makes it a much better bike in my book.

Not sure if that helps other than to confirm there is a way of starting them that currently defies my 40 plus years experience of starting a motorcycle.

Thank you for your replies, I stripped the carb completely again yesterday cleaning every thing, I set the float heights according to (Splatshop’s online tutorial for Keihin carbs) put in a NGK BPR5EIX Irdium spark plug, spent a bit of time with the air mixture screw one and a half turns out seems optimum for my bike, HAY PRESTO, I can start the red Spanish ragging beast. I even thought my wife was happy for me as she was waving her arms around shouting, but no, she was not happy at all,  I was filling the house up with two stroke  smoke, she was shouting dinner is ready, the dog got my dinner , I was greeted with a very happy content dog and angry wife when I finally came into the house.
I have also adopted a new Starting technique, get the kicker right to the top as you normally would engaging the starter gear, seems there is enough compression for my 14 stone bulk to quickly kind of get up on the kick start using a fast full body weight downward thrust with no throttle, all done in one quick fluid motion ( NOT balancing wobbling on the kicker before you thrust down) I stop started 10 times in my garden, either 1st or 2nd start was achieved. 
not sure if all these adjustments were the single fix or just my new starting technique, either way I’m extremely happy and I love the lazy torque the bike gives over my old 250 it rides and reacts much different to my friends 2015 feisty 280 txt 

proof will be when I’m out  in the field, that will be in four days time September 5th 2020

i shall post again with happy or either hot flustered out of breath sweaty news. ????
I’ve done a little video of how well my bike starts now with new technique,   but unable to attach it. Maybe someone can help me there as I’m sure it will help others.

Edited by TAYFIX
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, TAYFIX said:

Thank you for your replies, I stripped the carb completely again yesterday cleaning every thing, I set the float heights according to (Splatshop’s online tutorial for Keihin carbs) put in a NGK BPR5EIX Irdium spark plug, spent a bit of time with the air mixture screw one and a half turns out seems optimum for my bike, HAY PRESTO, I can start the red Spanish ragging beast. I even thought my wife was happy for me as she was waving her arms around shouting, but no, she was not happy at all,  I was filling the house up with two stroke  smoke, she was shouting dinner is ready, the dog got my dinner , I was greeted with a very happy content dog and angry wife when I finally came into the house.
I have also adopted a new Starting technique, get the kicker right to the top as you normally would engaging the starter gear, seems there is enough compression for my 14 stone bulk to quickly kind of get up on the kick start using a fast full body weight downward thrust with no throttle, all done in one quick fluid motion ( NOT balancing wobbling on the kicker before you thrust down) I stop started 10 times in my garden, either 1st or 2nd start was achieved. 
not sure if all these adjustments were the single fix or just my new starting technique, either way I’m extremely happy and I love the lazy torque the bike gives over my old 250 it rides and reacts much different to my friends 2015 feisty 280 txt 

proof will be when I’m out  in the field, that will be in four days time September 5th 2020

i shall post again with happy or either hot flustered out of breath sweaty news. ????
I’ve done a little video of how well my bike starts now with new technique,   but unable to attach it. Maybe someone can help me there as I’m sure it will help others.

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on (and the video!). It's been 8 or 9 years since I've ridden regularly and aside from the starting issues I'm finding the bike gets away from me at times. So I would really like to hear your impressions when you get to use it in anger.

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible that I need to clean the carb even for a brand new GasGas?

My 2020 TXT 280 needs good 10-20 kicks to start.

I don't want to think about what would happen if it stalls in the middle of a steep slope.....

Last weekends ridding was cut short as the rear brake failed, it was grabbing the first time I rode it so dismantled the rear calliper and could not believe the amount of crud behind the seals, they were also a bit perished, hard to believe in such a state on a 12 month old bike, anyway new pistons and seals ordered and will fit tomorrow ready for Saturday ride.

but starting seemed to work ok with my new technique, shame I can’t get the little video I done on here. I suppose if anyone private pms  me with there mobile number or email I could what’s app or mail it to you.

as for your carb it’s very easy to strip down and check all the settings.

• 1 month later...

If just fitted a low compression head insert and S3 head to my 2020 300 txt, it has changed how my bike starts. It’s now second kick every time, strange the first is almost like a  priming stroke. 2nd kick is so easy now with hardly any effort, no longer do I have to get up on the kick start for a massive downwards thrust. I can’t notice any loss in power but do notice the lower compression When starting. I’m sure a serious rider may notice a power loss but for a old git like me that just wants to play it’s perfect.

Also had to adjust the mixture screw to one turn out from fully closed, do not over tighten this when you wind it in to fully closed before coming back out to one turn.

Apparently the carb should be within 1 to 2 turns out, if either side of this your jetting is incorrect.

E6B5D0D6-2220-4EB0-8A7D-D72BAC79095A.jpeg

70640B40-DEB8-4FC1-9912-DD8AAF2D0C2D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Greg, what made you go for the low comp head?

I've had a couple of rides lately and pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't need a hard to start, beast (as described by everyone at the cub). Your tips helped but I still can't start it regularly when I'm tired. I also spend my time worrying if it's going to bite my a*se clearing rocks and logs.

The bike rides nicely and is easy to work on but coming back to riding after so long and trying to relearn so much whilst also trying to tame the bike, isn't working. Think I need to go back to the Italian side, a kicker for my stronger knee, and a 250 for my fitness and skill level.

• Like 1