2020 model Gasgas 300 TXT starting issue

TAYFIX

Oddly I put a high compression insert on my 250, but I just could not get my head around how easy my friends 2014 280 txt starts, he tells me it’s got a low compression insert in it, the only gutter is the newer bikes you have to buy a S3 head as well, earlier bikes Have a two piece head allowing just a insert purchase. I bought mine from Splatshop.co.Uk the two brothers that run it are really helpful and extremely efficient.

if you can spare £60 I highly recommend it, My right leg has had a beating over the years, I’ve snapped all the ligaments and tendons on different occasions in that leg, so I know what your going through. I’ve broken my back, hospital for three months, then at home in a body cast, All I could think about whilst learning to walk again was what bike am I going to get, I feel  if your riding a bike thinking it’s going to hurt you, then it’s definitely time to change it or possibly time to hang your boots up.

I've tried two of them and in my opinion a Gas Gas 300 with a low comp head has a really nice engine character.

I ride a Beta 250 though and for ease of starting it takes some beating. With many other bikes there's a knack to it, but these don't seem to require any technique at all, any old kick will do it first or second time.

59 minutes ago, TAYFIX said:

Oddly I put a high compression insert on my 250, but I just could not get my head around how easy my friends 2014 280 txt starts, he tells me it’s got a low compression insert in it, the only gutter is the newer bikes you have to buy a S3 head as well, earlier bikes Have a two piece head allowing just a insert purchase. I bought mine from Splatshop.co.Uk the two brothers that run it are really helpful and extremely efficient.

if you can spare £60 I highly recommend it, My right leg has had a beating over the years, I’ve snapped all the ligaments and tendons on different occasions in that leg, so I know what your going through. I’ve broken my back, hospital for three months, then at home in a body cast, All I could think about whilst learning to walk again was what bike am I going to get, I feel  if your riding a bike thinking it’s going to hurt you, then it’s definitely time to change it or possibly time to hang your boots up.

Now you say it, I think one of the guys at the club has a low comp on his 280, so I'll ask him if I can try starting his. Splatshop have always been so helpful whenever I use them, although I do like BVM as well, I try to spread my purchases around in an attempt to keep as many suppliers going (doubt I keep them in biscuits even.....)

Wow Greg, you're worse than me, mine have all been football and then coaching related and never as far as a bodycast! Good on you for keeping going. Cycling and road biking is proving difficult these days, so I can't hang up the trials boots just yet! I think it's a combination of trying to get back up to speed with my throttle and clutch control as well as learning the bike. If I could start the bugga it would certainly help the process!

Hopefully we're riding tomorrow, so we'll see.

1 hour ago, totty79 said:

I've tried two of them and in my opinion a Gas Gas 300 with a low comp head has a really nice engine character.

I ride a Beta 250 though and for ease of starting it takes some beating. With many other bikes there's a knack to it, but these don't seem to require any technique at all, any old kick will do it first or second time.

I've always owned Betas but circumstances meant a GG 300 was all that was available in my price range when I was ready to buy.

My problem is that I don't want to keep throwing money at a bike that may never be what I want. I live in France and the local club is exactly that, a club, with some really nice people in it. It's become as much of a social thing as somewhere to ride. I've just turned 60 and don't feel the need to do much more than ride the easier clubman type routes. Both myself and SWMBO love an afternoon at the club, I'd just like to not be worrying about the bike I'm riding.

I take it that despite liking the GG, you wouldn't swap one for your Beta?

No I probably wouldn't swap, at least not like for like. If I decided to buy a newer bike I wouldn't rule out a GG or Sherco, but another Beta maybe a factory model is just as likely.

I've had the same 250 2012 Beta for 5 or 6 years. I've ridden many other mostly newer bikes that I've liked and that I would be really happy with, but nothing that stood out as enough of an upgrade to make me want to buy one.

An update on my experiences so far. Had an afternoon's riding with my local club. I tried starting a 280 GP fitted with a low comp head today, both times I tried, I started it second kick, even with my dodgy right knee. The bike was much easier to start than my standard 300.

Three guys rode my bike and all agreed it's hard to start. They all also said that the low down power was nice and 'torquey' but when you need a quick blip of power it comes in so strong it's a bit of a battle to control it. No one liked my clutch either, saying it was either on or off.

In comparison when I rode the 280 it felt like it had instant power but the power wasn't over powering like it is on the 300. I felt like I could 'boss' the 280 much more than the 300.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, TAYFIX said:

250 gp's come with both heads

16 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

An update on my experiences so far. Had an afternoon's riding with my local club. I tried starting a 280 GP fitted with a low comp head today, both times I tried, I started it second kick, even with my dodgy right knee. The bike was much easier to start than my standard 300.

Three guys rode my bike and all agreed it's hard to start. They all also said that the low down power was nice and 'torquey' but when you need a quick blip of power it comes in so strong it's a bit of a battle to control it. No one liked my clutch either, saying it was either on or off.

In comparison when I rode the 280 it felt like it had instant power but the power wasn't over powering like it is on the 300. I felt like I could 'boss' the 280 much more than the 300.

Its definately the set up you have, I had 290's and 300s for years thought that was best but a 250 does everything you need if youre not wtc.

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Its definately the set up you have, I had 290's and 300s for years thought that was best but a 250 does everything you need if youre not wtc.

I would agree with you and if I'd had the option, I would've bought one, I live in rural France and it was the best I could get without driving hundreds of miles on the off chance. It was also a question of testing the waters, in terms of my ability to ride and also finding places to ride.

I have now joined a local club, with their own practice grounds and I absolutely love riding with the guys there.

Now I seem to be faced with trying to make the 300 work for me, or giving up on it and getting something else, I'm well aware I can spend a fortune chasing something that may never be suitable for me. When you say 'set up' do you mean that the 300 will never work for me, or do you have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, d2w said:

Not without cost, but I believe a 250cc or 280cc cylinder and piston can be fitted on a 300cc engine; they share the same crank case.

I think you're right, but here the cost would be around 500 euros in parts. I could always sell the 300 parts but again I am investing rather than just going to buy something more suitable.

As Mr Dabster says a 250 would do everything I need to do. At the moment, depending on what a shop would give me for my 300, I could possibly get a 2019 250 Evo for 600 euros, a 2020 for 1000 euros or a '21 for 1500. Beta's come with a 2 year warranty here.

Try an extra base gasket,cheapest and easiest way to calm it down a bit.If it's still too powerful add a flywheel weight.Changing it for a Beta sounds too expensive,unless you've tried one,and really prefer it

14 hours ago, huski said:

Try an extra base gasket,cheapest and easiest way to calm it down a bit.If it's still too powerful add a flywheel weight.Changing it for a Beta sounds too expensive,unless you've tried one,and really prefer it

I've had a 250 Rev3 and a 300 Evo in the past and liked them, however I was pretty happy when something different came up. I'm happy to try to sort the situation but not if it's either going to be a waste of money, or unachievable.

This is another alternative.

https://trialendurodirect.com/product/gg-pro-model-cylinder-head-spacer/

I'm not sure if it's compatible with the head of your 2020 model. It worked well on my son's 2008.

But it's not without issues:

- There's no o-rings between the top of the cylinder and the plate, so you have to seal it with silicon/gasket maker, and that could leak.

- You increase the squish band by 1mm, so that may effect your engine running (but we did not experience that).

But it is a low-cost option which can easily be jettisoned if it doesn't work for you.

I would bite the bullet and invest in a 250 cylinder head and piston.

easy swap and you can then sell on or keep next time, so much of the initial cost would be recovered one way or another.

By the time you sell or swapin the 300 etc its going to cost you more anyway.

• Like 1