2020 model Gasgas 300 TXT starting issue

TAYFIX

Hi Jon, My 250 was very easy to kick over, but I do really enjoy the the torque of the 300, the extra base gasket and low compression head insert would be my first swop, I’ve not done the base gasket on mine, take your clutch apart and have a look at the plates and clutch basket to find out why your clutch is snappy your clutch should be super smooth,maybe firstly change the fluid for fresh, use a big syringe and reverse bleed it, there easy to work on. I run putonline nano tech trans gp gear oil 380mils using slightly less seems to build less pressure in the box allowing finding gears and neutral better, I found this combination worked perfectly on my older txt, my 300 has Kevlar plates so I may try cheaper Putoline  light gear oil as nano tech trans gp is ridiculously expensive. But it cured the drag in my old bike even after setting the clutch pack height correctly.
ive also found since putting the low compression insert in my 300 I can now easily push the bike backwards whilst in 3rd gear allowing to be started clutch in and in gear, my bike had so much compression before I found pushing the bike back in gear awfully difficult especially when in slippery conditions.  and it would hardly ever start in gear.  The piston in my bike is a S3 78.95 I do not know if standard as I’m the second owner.

shame your not in Blighty Jon and near me as I would of fettled your bike for you, really hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:00 AM, TAYFIX said:

Hi Jon, My 250 was very easy to kick over, but I do really enjoy the the torque of the 300, the extra base gasket and low compression head insert would be my first swop, I’ve not done the base gasket on mine, take your clutch apart and have a look at the plates and clutch basket to find out why your clutch is snappy your clutch should be super smooth,maybe firstly change the fluid for fresh, use a big syringe and reverse bleed it, there easy to work on. I run putonline nano tech trans gp gear oil 380mils using slightly less seems to build less pressure in the box allowing finding gears and neutral better, I found this combination worked perfectly on my older txt, my 300 has Kevlar plates so I may try cheaper Putoline  light gear oil as nano tech trans gp is ridiculously expensive. But it cured the drag in my old bike even after setting the clutch pack height correctly.
ive also found since putting the low compression insert in my 300 I can now easily push the bike backwards whilst in 3rd gear allowing to be started clutch in and in gear, my bike had so much compression before I found pushing the bike back in gear awfully difficult especially when in slippery conditions.  and it would hardly ever start in gear.  The piston in my bike is a S3 78.95 I do not know if standard as I’m the second owner.

shame your not in Blighty Jon and near me as I would of fettled your bike for you, really hope you get it sorted.

Sorry Greg I missed your reply until today.

Thanks for your kind offer, I'd actually be really keen to have a quick spin on your bike and compare the two. Unfortunately no one else at our club has a 300, they all ride 280s for some reason. It's not so much the work I'm not keen on (I really enjoy working on this bike, much more than my old Beta), it's which direction to go down. I dropped the oil on Monday intending to run the Putoline Light you mention. I have a friend who rides a 300 in the British Champs and he reckons it really works well. As there are big rumours here of a lockdown I've not done any more with the bike, as we needed to stock up on stuff, just in case, to keep us busy throughout the winter.

If we do get locked down and the oil change doesn't work, I'll have a look at the clutch plates and see what lies within! As I understand it, it's possible to alter the plates and therefore the action? I need to get my head around that...... The bike had a new clutch put in it just before I bought it so I wondered if it was just bedding in. I was a bit surprised that the sump plug had a lot of black gunge on it, yet the oil was good, maybe the plates bedding?

If the clutch gets sorted I'm not sure which way to go. Dropping the capacity would work no doubt but I wouldn't be able to recoup any money as bikes here normally have a logbook and changing the capacity on that would be amazingly complicated. Dropping the compression would be cheaper and if it didn't work, I'm pretty sure I could sell the kit.

I have to say there is something about this bike that makes me want to get it working for me. Maybe I should just give up and chop it in for a new one but that just feels like failure! As just about everyone in our club rides a gasser, I jokingly asked one of the owners of the club, if I bought a Beta would I have to leave the club? "Betas sont pour les filles" (Betas are for girls) was the reply I got....

Like David soul sang, don’t give up on it baby, has your bike got the S3 head on? If so give the low compression insert a go. Simple to change. Can’t remember if you have had your carb apart, also easy to do, check you float height, needle jet setting, and clean inside throughly. The only way I would swop my Gas Gas for a beta, is if I could swop out the wife for a newer one in the exchange, only joking I love her to bits.

did you ever have one of these?

75E3870B-BF2E-4408-B128-7C292392D666.jpeg

47 minutes ago, TAYFIX said:

Like David soul sang, don’t give up on it baby, has your bike got the S3 head on? If so give the low compression insert a go. Simple to change. Can’t remember if you have had your carb apart, also easy to do, check you float height, needle jet setting, and clean inside throughly. The only way I would swop my Gas Gas for a beta, is if I could swop out the wife for a newer one in the exchange, only joking I love her to bits.

did you ever have one of these?

75E3870B-BF2E-4408-B128-7C292392D666.jpeg

Nope, no S3 head, mine's a racing rather than a GP. So the change is a bit more costly.

The guy at the shop assured me he'd set the carb up perfectly. He's an ex works mechanic, although chatting to my friend at the club, he's not the best mechanic at the shop.

As we're now in lock down until mid December I'll go through the carb too. 6/7 weeks of riding round the garden to come!

Funnily enough my Mrs's son rebuilt this.....

P1000075_1024.jpg.3671ac1967096706e3b6880955a9624f.jpg

Nice, I always liked the white and blue RS200, the dreaded virus I’m sure will hit London hard again bringing lock downs like earlier in the year, I rode my road bike through London and could not believe what I was seeing, it was just like normal, masses of people walking around closely together.  It could go on across the world for another year or more, especially if the thing mutates as people catch it more than once. I really hope I’m completely wrong.  I’ve been thinking of building a few objects to practice on in my garden, best I fill up my fuel cans in case the petrol stations shut to restrict movement. 

7 hours ago, TAYFIX said:

Nice, I always liked the white and blue RS200, the dreaded virus I’m sure will hit London hard again bringing lock downs like earlier in the year, I rode my road bike through London and could not believe what I was seeing, it was just like normal, masses of people walking around closely together.  It could go on across the world for another year or more, especially if the thing mutates as people catch it more than once. I really hope I’m completely wrong.  I’ve been thinking of building a few objects to practice on in my garden, best I fill up my fuel cans in case the petrol stations shut to restrict movement. 

Sorry, I was a bit shocked by the news that we can't ride last night. That's a lovely Mexico, love the colour too, I was a fan of the Mk 2 RS, largely as my mates at the football club had them and we used to race back from a match to the pub. Seemed the height of cool back in the day.

We have an open section to our barn, large enough to use as a practice area. We also have a few old concrete drain sections and some hefty wood from the old above ground pool, so it could well get turned into a trails area. Macron said that we should try to shop online to keep the economy going, so I can also see a suspension rebuild on the horizon.

I blame my Mrs for the lockdown, we managed to get her Sherco insured yesterday, (trials bikes must be insured for public liability at our club) so she was due to have her first ride at the club this weekend! Where we are in France the numbers are quite low still and everyone has been pretty good with mask wearing. Although I have seen someone pull down their mask and do the two kisses thing when they met someone! Last lockdown was tough, with police road blocks everywhere, you had to prove where you were going, even if just for a walk! Only essential shopping and you weren't even allowed to ride a push bike. Highlight of our day was seeing a car drive past the front gate!

We have relatives and friends back in the UK and it worries us just how bad things are probably going to be. I was amazed watching Macron last night, not once did he say what a good job his government had done, instead he said they had made some mistakes in the past. Contrast that with Boris et al....

Thanks for the chart, very kind of you.

4 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

... Although I have seen someone pull down their mask and do the two kisses thing when they met someone! Last lockdown was tough, with police road blocks everywhere, you had to prove where you were going, even if just for a walk! Only essential shopping and you weren't even allowed to ride a push bike. Highlight of our day was seeing a car drive past the front gate!

Doesn't look like I am going to France for xmas then.  ?

36 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

Doesn't look like I am going to France for xmas then.  ?

With the cases higher than the last time he locked down, I don't think it's likely we'll come out any time soon. We've rented a place in Portugal for 3 months, starting in December, trouble is we can't get there.

Where in France do you have a place?

4 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

With the cases higher than the last time he locked down, I don't think it's likely we'll come out any time soon. We've rented a place in Portugal for 3 months, starting in December, trouble is we can't get there.

Where in France do you have a place?

Montpellier.  We have not been able to get there for nearly a year now.  Still got the bill for Taxe though.  We think that when we go next we will leave the keys with the estate agent - not much point now and particularly as cannot work over there or stay more than 60 days next year.

6 hours ago, TAYFIX said:

Hi Jon, I’ve just sent you a what’s app little video, tried posting it here but even though I kept it short it’s still to large.

its nothing rud, it’s  bike starting  related.

?

Thanks Greg, really kind of you. Enjoyed the commentary too!

3 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Montpellier.  We have not been able to get there for nearly a year now.  Still got the bill for Taxe though.  We think that when we go next we will leave the keys with the estate agent - not much point now and particularly as cannot work over there or stay more than 60 days next year.

Lovely location to have a place and yes the French love their taxes! Shame to lose it though? Another benefit of Brex*t.

We've got about 7 months to go and then we can have permanent residency and at the moment, once my French improves, I will apply for naturalization.

11 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

Lovely location to have a place and yes the French love their taxes! Shame to lose it though? Another benefit of Brex*t.

We've got about 7 months to go and then we can have permanent residency and at the moment, once my French improves, I will apply for naturalization.

I wish you every success.  If we did not own and run a business here I would have packed up and gone to France just in time to get the permanent residency.  We lived in Montpellier for three years and really enjoyed it there.  Then my wife's dad was diagnosed with cancer and she wanted to be nearer to him for his last year or so and we returned to the UK.  There is a good trials club just outside Montpellier ( https://www.trial-fabregues.com/) once a member you get a key and can ride as much as you like.  Prior to the vote no one seemed much to give a monkey's and be bothered by residency status and all that kind of stuff.  I fear people have thrown out the baby, the pram and next week's wages with the bathwater.

2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

I wish you every success.  If we did not own and run a business here I would have packed up and gone to France just in time to get the permanent residency.  We lived in Montpellier for three years and really enjoyed it there.  Then my wife's dad was diagnosed with cancer and she wanted to be nearer to him for his last year or so and we returned to the UK.  There is a good trials club just outside Montpellier ( https://www.trial-fabregues.com/) once a member you get a key and can ride as much as you like.  Prior to the vote no one seemed much to give a monkey's and be bothered by residency status and all that kind of stuff.  I fear people have thrown out the baby, the pram and next week's wages with the bathwater.

Thanks very much and I'm sorry to hear about your wife's dad. We understand the pull of family back in the UK, my other half's daughter is expecting and whilst we will go back for a few months (if CV allows) we've had discussions over should we go back permanently, or even share our time between the UK and France. The residency and 90 day thing is a pain though, I wonder when it will dawn on people exactly what we are losing.

In all honesty, I've only just started warming to life here, my other half loves it and has friends here with similar interests. I thought it would be a 2 wheeled playground until I understood the power and frequency of the local hunt! My French wasn't good enough at first and the local trials clubs were all a fair distance away sadly. Then a chance meeting lead to getting to know some guys setting up a new club 20 minutes down the road from us. Four of them own the land, they're all French and they have been so kind and welcoming to both of us. Unfortunately their insurance means one of the owners has to be there for you to ride but as I'm fast making good friends with one of them, I get to know when at least one of them is riding.

I hope you get to still spend some time down here, it really is a lovely way of life and here at least, full of kind, generous people. Plenty of bargain properties around here too....