2020 model Gasgas 300 TXT starting issue

TAYFIX

1 hour ago, mercuryrev said:

... I wonder when it will dawn on people exactly what we are losing.

My guess is when some oldie gets hugely fined for overstay one winter and then complains to the Daily Mail that that is not what they voted for...

Glad you have some riding sorted out.  As you say there are lots of kind and lovely people there.  I cannot honestly recommend coming back here for anything.  I consider it to be the biggest mistake I ever made in my life.  Also I feel that in the last 5 years or so it has got much worse.  All that said I would not have enjoyed the lockdown in Montpellier, at least here we live in the countryside and it was not too bad at all.  If I can wangle an Irish passport we will retire to Normandy/Brittany area and buy somewhere with land round it.  I will be building a trials course needless to say and hope to find some new friends to play with.

I might even buy a 300 Gasser now I know how to tame it.

1 hour ago, ChrisCH said:

My guess is when some oldie gets hugely fined for overstay one winter and then complains to the Daily Mail that that is not what they voted for...

Glad you have some riding sorted out.  As you say there are lots of kind and lovely people there.  I cannot honestly recommend coming back here for anything.  I consider it to be the biggest mistake I ever made in my life.  Also I feel that in the last 5 years or so it has got much worse.  All that said I would not have enjoyed the lockdown in Montpellier, at least here we live in the countryside and it was not too bad at all.  If I can wangle an Irish passport we will retire to Normandy/Brittany area and buy somewhere with land round it.  I will be building a trials course needless to say and hope to find some new friends to play with.

I might even buy a 300 Gasser now I know how to tame it.

Strangely there's been a huge number of UK registered cars for sale down here lately..... Not to mention the amount of posts on FB about how to register for just about everything that should be registered for. Why people risk not getting into the health service here I don't know.

I like to think mistakes are just something to learn and profit from, you had to do what you did and now you have a goal to work to. We left because we wanted all the things that rural France still seems to offer but the UK doesn't any more. Most of all a respect for others regardless of who they are, or what they possess. I can thoroughly recommend the Gers, or Haute Pyrenees, our 300 year old farm house with 2000 sqm of land cost a lot less than a 2 bed flat in Kent. It's the 30th October and I'm outside working on the bike in shorts and a t shirt....

Hijack? What hijack? Sorry Greg.

Back on subject......

Changed the gearbox oil to 380mls of Putoline GP10 and it feels to my uneducated finger, that I now have much better feel in the clutch. Only round the garden and over some logs, but it feels smoother and I can find the biting point easier.

Back to the starting problem..... Splat shop seem to have the best deal at the moment and fast shipping to boot.

Blimey if you’ve noticed that kind of feel already, it will feel even better after the next oil change when the plates have had a good time to absorb the new oil. What was you old oil and how long had it been in the bike?

splat shop here you come. ?

15 hours ago, TAYFIX said:

Blimey if you’ve noticed that kind of feel already, it will feel even better after the next oil change when the plates have had a good time to absorb the new oil. What was you old oil and how long had it been in the bike?

splat shop here you come. ?

No idea what was in there before, it looked like oil but it might have been some cheap stuff. It looked clean and new when I got the bike but there was also a lot of black gunge on the sump and oil filler plugs. I am pretty sure the bike has been ragged in the past but it seems to run nicely. The condition of the bike meant that it was a far cry from what I would buy in the UK but it was all that was around at the time and it was a passport to being able to ride here and to making friends. There was also a bit of politics in buying locally.

I got the impression that they were just trying to sell me any old bike at first. There was a bit of 'sell the english bloke the heap in the corner'. Then they found out I knew a French guy that supports their trials school financially and the frostiness changed. A bit of banter and I was suddenly offered a new mudguard and some new stickers.

Respect is a bit thing here and I hadn't earned any when I first walked in the door. Buying from that shop has earnt me plenty of brownie points, now I get emails and phone calls asking if I want to come and ride with the owner of the shop.

Got a couple of days of nice weather to come and then I'll be stripping down the rear linkages, checking and replacing if necessary. Did you replace anything when you did yours, sorry I can't remember what you said?

Had the notice come through from the French version of the ACU, no competition or practice until 1st December at the earliest.....

2 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

... There was also a bit of politics in buying locally......

Yes, well done for that.  Probably a smart move.  Now you have ingratiated yourself you might want to have a trip to Dherby at some point.  (https://www.dherbeymoto.com/marchand/index.php) We called in on the way down year before last to buy the missus some trials pants (women's sizes seem almost totally absent in the UK).  It is a great shop.

We stayed overnight in Grenoble (Holiday Inn) and the fireflies were swarming outside the building, the mountains in the background.  Quite something.  Then drove over the mountains past the ski slopes and some incredible scenery.  The walnut orchards are impressive too.

Stunningly beautiful part of the world.  Incredible range of trials bikes and clothing and spares.  Lovely hotel and food and a memorable trip.  If only I could persuade them they need an English speaking salesman.....

4 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

Yes, well done for that.  Probably a smart move.  Now you have ingratiated yourself you might want to have a trip to Dherby at some point.  (https://www.dherbeymoto.com/marchand/index.php) We called in on the way down year before last to buy the missus some trials pants (women's sizes seem almost totally absent in the UK).  It is a great shop.

We stayed overnight in Grenoble (Holiday Inn) and the fireflies were swarming outside the building, the mountains in the background.  Quite something.  Then drove over the mountains past the ski slopes and some incredible scenery.  The walnut orchards are impressive too.

Stunningly beautiful part of the world.  Incredible range of trials bikes and clothing and spares.  Lovely hotel and food and a memorable trip.  If only I could persuade them they need an English speaking salesman.....

Funny you should say that as almost a year ago we set off to drive to Milan via Menton to go to EICMA and see Elbow play, on the way back we stopped off at Dherbey. What a shop, it is truly trials heaven! Most bikes were available to test in their grounds, although they weren't interested in letting me try a Repsol. I've used them a few times for parts and whilst they're not cheap, they are fast. I'm sure they'd be interested in an extra salesman, every moto shop I go to mention they've sold a bike to an Englishman!

As you say, it is a beautiful part of the world too. Sadly it was a cloudy day around Grenoble, although we'd crossed over from Italy earlier to be met with sunshine and the first snow of the year in the Alps. One day I am going to research as many trials clubs/venues in nice spots around France and go on a road trip. I also need to suss out the French pastime of trial randonnee. 

2 hours ago, crazybond700 said:

I wonder if its the weather in your country which makes it so hard to start. My 300's always start 2nd kick. Both with the older dellortho and with the keihin carb.

It's me! I can start it second kick with my left leg but as I have a bad right knee it's just too much for it. I've tried a friends 280 GP with a low comp head and can start it fairly easily with my right leg. Although he did then tell me that he has a different CDI on the bike.

I'm ok if I just ride and practice on the bike without stopping and starting it all the time. If I am stopping it every section then if becomes a pain to start it with my left.

• 1 month later...

Seems to me the GG TXT300 need some high velocity kick to start.  Mine does.  6 hours on it only.  A half hearted attempt will not do it.  Speed does it.  So yeah, I'm with you, but I am hoping that it will get better with time.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:18 AM, Elnonio said:

Seems to me the GG TXT300 need some high velocity kick to start.  Mine does.  6 hours on it only.  A half hearted attempt will not do it.  Speed does it.  So yeah, I'm with you, but I am hoping that it will get better with time.

I managed to get some riding in last weekend and with the new head and insert, the bike is definitely easier to start. Until I get tired I can now start it either first, or second kick. However it never starts if the throttle is opened, it has to be closed or it refuses to start.

Power is pretty much the same, I think, perhaps slightly softer, although I am now starting to get used to the bike.

Another club member had just bought a Vertigo 250 and, stupidly, I had a ride..... It confirmed what I knew, with a 250 I feel in control of the bike, with the 300 GG I feel that the bike will bite me unless I am totally on it.

It's getting better however and I'm not giving up as I've put a lot of work into this bike.

That’s great news your getting to grips with it, I now put it in third gear and roll it backwards slightly when starting, different technique again,   it’s even easier to start with low comp head.  After rolling back literally just rest your foot on the kickstart (no weight of foot or boot) then quick stroke down with the leg, starts first kick every single time when bike is warm. Feels completely different this way as there seems to be no compression when using this method. I’m really enjoying my 300 now especially knowing I can start the rascal when ever I want.

happy Christmas to all,  I hope we can all find the allusive Christmas spirit this year, maybe after this pandemic the word will realise how fragile all living things are, and we can all enjoy world peace and plenty of bike riding. ?

22 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

I managed to get some riding in last weekend and with the new head and insert, the bike is definitely easier to start. Until I get tired I can now start it either first, or second kick. However it never starts if the throttle is opened, it has to be closed or it refuses to start.

Did you do the work yourself, and I presume those were S3 head and insert?  If so, can you confirm whether the S3 low comp insert would actually fit the original head?  I'm reading and getting conflicting info.  Since we have the same bike (2020 TXT 300) your experience should be dispositive :)

Edited by Elnonio

1 hour ago, Elnonio said:

Did you do the work yourself, and I presume those were S3 head and insert?  If so, can you confirm whether the S3 low comp insert would actually fit the original head?  I'm reading and getting conflicting info.  Since we have the same bike (2020 TXT 300) your experience should be dispositive :)

Yes it was the S3 head and insert and yes I did it myself. It isn't a particularly difficult job, unless you catch one of the head o rings and then fill the cylinder with coolant (don't ask how I know). So just be careful with that.

I'm not sure on years but the later bikes need a new head and insert, early bikes could just have an insert fitted I believe. Mine is an '17 Racing. The parts aren't cheap and I did agonize over whether it was worth persevering with the whole thing or cut my loses and get a 250.

I really struggled to start the bike and it is now much easier with the head fitted. I know there is a knack and I know I haven't acquired that, so it must be the head. Power might be a little softer, but not much.

I am returning to trials after about 7 or 8 years and I was never that great, preferring to just have fun rather than compete. Trying to remember everything again and get back up to where I once was, has been harder thanks to having a 300. Having said that my skills(?) have had to improve quickly thanks to the extra power. A 250 would still suit me better but I've enjoyed it all, working on the bike and the challenge of making it work for me and vice versa.

I have also had superb help and guidance by Greg, the OP of this, as well as all the other contributors.

Hope all that helps.