80cc big any good for adult

oldlegs

I'll soon be 71years young and enjoying trials practice with a great bunch of riders on my 250cc trials bike I still get a buzz climbing steep gradients and tight turns over logs etc. but starting to need something much lighter and easier to kick start. I've considered a 125 but they don't feel much lighter than a 250 indeed a lot of the cycle parts are the same. So what are your thoughts of a 5ft 9inch 12stone 71 year young having fun on modern 80cc big wheel .

Have you actually tried riding a 125, not much difference on paper but my dad, at 87, has a 125 gasgas and it feels lighter to ride than a 250. I know not why but definitely feels lighter and easier to manoeuvre and much easier to start.

kids on big wheel 80s can certainly do plenty, about 3/4 size of full size bike I think

• Like 1

Beta 80 is heavier than it looks.

Lighter to ride or lighter to pick up? As said above 125s feel much lighter to manoeuvre than a 250, but similar to pick up.

Ease of starting also differs by brand, Beta trend to be really easy.

Edited by totty79
  • Like 2

I've done the odd Trial and had plenty shots on my son's old 80 Evo (2016). It's a hoot to ride and easy on the tight stuff but don't expect it to lug you out of trouble when things go wrong. A more  aggressive technique is also needed so maybe at 70 it's not what you want.

Cheers the noo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, breagh said:

I've done the odd Trial and had plenty shots on my son's old 80 Evo (2016). It's a hoot to ride and easy on the tight stuff but don't expect it to lug you out of trouble when things go wrong. A more  aggressive technique is also needed so maybe at 70 it's not what you want.

Cheers the noo.

Agree with that, my son has a big wheel 80 and I can ride it but the 125 is more suited to an adult and still feels easier and lighter than a 250?

• Like 2

An 80cc bike will be hard to ride everywhere because you will need to be burning the clutch/won't have the flywheel or power to just barrel over something.

TRS or GASGAS have the electric start models, will make the bike feel a fair bit lighter if you haven't spent all your energy kicking it over.

• Like 1

My daughters first trials moto was an 80 Sr with the full size wheels.  The difference in total weaght is maybe 4-6lbs last I recall and the 125 she rides now is way nicer suspension for any adult and I doubt its any harder to start than her old Beta 80.  If it was me I would say go with a 125 unless you want to go down to something like an Oset 24.0R. 

• Like 1

An 80 would be Ok if you don't mind revving the bike flat out most of the time in bottom.

On climbs you would appreciate the lack of weight as you will get stuck quite often no matter how much you wind the power on!

A 125 would be a much better bet or even an Evo 200.

Edited by micm
  • Like 1