Boot Fit and Stiffness

mcman56

Garne boots are a good fit for me but they do not offer a lot of protection.  Once aged a bit, they feel like bedroom slippers so I want something with more protection.  I have been using MSR dual sport boots but they are obsolete.  I just ordered some Alpinestars but when I tried them on, they are too narrow in the ball/ toe area and skinny in the calf area.  Reviews suggest that SIDI is also small in the toe area.  Is there another brand that is wide in the front, has plenty of room in the calf and offers better protection.   How is the fit with Forma?         

One article reviewing trials boots even recommend these as trials boots.  Has anyone tried them?

https://www.amazon.com/ONeal-Mens-Logo-Rider-Black/dp/B073XW4YMF/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=thedirtbike-20&linkId=5c22ab8e9c248bd48cd8b5e592a08226&language=en_US

Not sure I can help with what trials boot, however I wouldn't go with the listed ONeal's.  My kid had a set of ONeal's, a lot like that set, in the transition between her small pit bike and the Beta Rev 80 we got her and they where to stiff, in the end we got my daughter a pair of the AplineStars and they are way better for her.  Maybe they would have softened up a bit more over time but it sure didn't seem like it. 

Of course she isn't needing the wider toe box and bigger calf so that isn't going to help you but hope the information on the stiff factor helps at least a bit. 

Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21

• 2 months later...

Concerning the O'Neals - reading the 1 star reviews on Amazon is a bit scary.  Seems poorly made.  However, for the price you can buy 3 of the O'Neals for the price of one pair of G's or A*'s.  The O'Ns are more motocross style boots and might be a bit hard to walk in - but they appear to offer good support.....

You pay your money and makes your choices - the way of the world.  

I am a newbie to this sport and I must say the brand name boots are very expensive and according to some of the posts on this forum - they wear out or have other difficulties.  So it seems there is no good solution to a good pair of protective boots at a reasonable price. 

I'm just saying......

Dennis

On 9/3/2020 at 11:36 AM, mcman56 said:

Garne boots are a good fit for me but they do not offer a lot of protection.  Once aged a bit, they feel like bedroom slippers so I want something with more protection.  I have been using MSR dual sport boots but they are obsolete.  I just ordered some Alpinestars but when I tried them on, they are too narrow in the ball/ toe area and skinny in the calf area.  Reviews suggest that SIDI is also small in the toe area.  Is there another brand that is wide in the front, has plenty of room in the calf and offers better protection.   How is the fit with Forma?         

One article reviewing trials boots even recommend these as trials boots.  Has anyone tried them?

https://www.amazon.com/ONeal-Mens-Logo-Rider-Black/dp/B073XW4YMF/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=thedirtbike-20&linkId=5c22ab8e9c248bd48cd8b5e592a08226&language=en_US

I don't know where you found an article recommending O Neal boots for Trials but I'll say they have no idea what they're talking about.

I ended up with Forma.  They fell stiffer/ more protective than Garne.  The sole seems much more durable than Garne.  The foot area is wide so the fit feels the same as Garne.  I wear thick knee pads that go far down into the boot and they calf area just closes.  I had different pads when using Garne so don't know how they compare.  I could probably use knee pads with less padding in the shin area.  I would highly recommend the Forma boots.      

• Like 1