New bike

Robert n

Hi all after some advice moved from montesa 300rr to a vertigo 300 r   Had a few rides lovely bike but I’m getting cramp in my right hand  all the time never experienced it before had a few bikes and it’s not happened  Iv got everything set as it should be  any tips on what to adjust whould be helpful thanks  Iv put on the s3 aluminium foot pegs so there’s that little adjustment 

Maybe Is it just the different riding style now needed with a 2t  - more throttle input compared to the 4rt?

maybe just need to ride through it until your body adjusts 

when I switched to the 4rt elbows used to hurt due the torque at MRD bottom end and the “hang off the back “ riding style of the mont 

• Like 1

For me the last time I had an issue like this for me it was the position on the bike.  I think I was putting just a touch more pressure on my hands than I had before.  I had to adjust the bars a bit back and forth tell I was able to get about the same pressure as I had on my last bike.  Of course I can't say this is the problem but I hope that helps and good luck. 

• Like 1

Thanks I’m hoping it’s just to adjust to a new bike but I’m thinking Iv too much weight on my hands to cause this   The footpegs are the s3 aluminium for a wide platform  I assume the 10mm adjustment on the pegs wouldn’t even be noticeable so only leaves the handlebars 

23 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Maybe Is it just the different riding style now needed with a 2t  - more throttle input compared to the 4rt?

maybe just need to ride through it until your body adjusts 

when I switched to the 4rt elbows used to hurt due the torque at MRD bottom end and the “hang off the back “ riding style of the mont 

I could easy be the difference in throttle because I was pulling the brake lever by accident all the time  one of the things I loved on the 4rt was the power with little amount of throttle Iv got the WiFi box for it so I’m hoping I can adjust the throttle to be mor responsive like the 4rt is 

Have you changed...do you wear gloves? These can bring grief if they are too tight across the back of the hand etc. Before your next ride give your hands and wrists a bit of pre-ride exercise to improve blood circulation. Now you are controlling the throttle ‘fly by wire’ there will be little resistance to any twisting action and it could be this added to cautious throttle opening. As previously suggested, going back to the handlebars you had on the 4rt may be a benefit to you. A chat to your GP may be a wise move as there might be an underlying issue.

1 hour ago, section swept said:

Have you changed...do you wear gloves? These can bring grief if they are too tight across the back of the hand etc. Before your next ride give your hands and wrists a bit of pre-ride exercise to improve blood circulation. Now you are controlling the throttle ‘fly by wire’ there will be little resistance to any twisting action and it could be this added to cautious throttle opening. As previously suggested, going back to the handlebars you had on the 4rt may be a benefit to you. A chat to your GP may be a wise move as there might be an underlying issue.

Thanks the bike has renthal fat bars on think thats what was on the 4rt  im thinking the problem is im having to open the throttle alot more to get the same power  ill try some hand stretching as im a plasterer iv always got stiff hands  i had got some thin hebo gloves xl but ill try my old pair you never know could be that 

11 hours ago, Johnny Reggie said:

A quick thought. Maybe someone has put a slow throttle tube on the Vertigo? If you roll back the grip it’ll be black. Fast ones are white. That would tax your wrist more....

Thanks i checked that its a fast one 

well i think iv sussed it but i carnt belive it is that  id bought some new thin hebo gloves xl   i put my old gloves on which i think are old mx gloves which are thicker  that iv worn for years  and i was fine  bit confused by that  outcome 

• Like 3

I am a 63 year old plasterer and trials rider.  A few decades ago my right hand used to get extremely stiff from plastering and I changed trowel size from a 5X14 inch (wooden handle) to a 5X13 with a rubber handle.  It helped me a lot and my hand never gets nearly as stiff.

• Like 1