Bultaco Resto Project

Old Gezzer

Hi Jon,

Your 198A is looking good. Have you done any work to the engine? I am waiting for the guy who is fitting the Rod Kit to my crank. He is currently closed due to lockdown.My engine is at a standstill till I get my crank done.

I am collecting my wheels from the wheel builder on Saturday.

I haven't done my exhaust yet but a friend of mine has done a few, he cleans them out with caustic before cutting them open and re packing them.

Any chance you could post a couple of shots of your Air Box? I am quite a bit miising on mine.

The engine seemed to run OK'ish so I took off the head and barrel and gave it a check over and all seemed to be well - rings / bore and head etc. So I've cleaned it all up and repainted it, replaced the sprocket, engine bolts and gaskets and a few seals and we'll see how it goes. I've not had a two stroke before so its interesting and relatively simple! My airbox was in a pretty sorry state and all cracked around the inlet flange. But I've managed to salvage it with a bit of plastic welding and some high grade waterproof silicone which I used to glue a strengthening ring inside and pop-riveted the carb rubber hose metal ring to, so it seems pretty solid! The door is still pretty poor fitting though! I'll take some pictures!

• Like 1

We have wheels ? Got them back from my Wheel Builder on Saturday. I am in the process of checking the offset as I got the rear wheel rim and hub from different sources so there was no measurments to work off. But looking good not to far out on the off set if any.

Wheel Builder is Roy Thursby from Stockton on Tees 01642 612784 Very Good at his job

DSC02230.JPG

DSC02231.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good!

Do you have spec figures for offset?

I loosely built up my rear wheel yesterday, but couldn't get to near the offset figure that I measured before stripping the wheels down. Problem is if anything else is to go by, nothing has been very stock so far so its difficult what to believe!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Bit of an update. Over the holidays I have assembled and fitted the engine. New Big End and Rod Kit, Rebore, New Piston, New Fibre Clutch Plates. New Front and rear sprockets, All new Stainless Fastners. Fitted both tyres and got on with quite a few other cosmetic jobs.

DSC02246.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

Edited by Old Gezzer
Change Photo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit further on. Ignition side of the engine is done. Bars and levers loosely fitted Mudguards fitted. I have had to shorten the rear stay on the front wheel by 23mm dont know if anyone else had an issue with stays from our major Bultco supplier? rest of the assembly is ticking along nicely and hopefully not to much left to do. Main jobs are get the tank sealed and painted and cut and repack the exhaust.

For some strange reason the site wo'nt let me upload a photo??

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Old Gezzer