Fuel Mixture ?

rick_watts

Hi guys,

After soom advise on what fuel mixture to run in my TR77 350, been a long time in coming but final got out on my bike this weekend after 30 years in boxes.

i'm running it at 40:1 mixture and leaving clouds of blue smoke in my wake.

Thanks Rick

20200820_180630.thumb.jpg.f7f73d72abb5c7b0bb588fde92ea8c13.jpg.

What brand/type of oil?

40:1 isn't too far off, i would never go below 50:1 on an air cooled bike of that era. Even at 40:1 your bike shouldn't smoke that bad, unless its an inappropriate oil or something up with your bike (seals or clogged exhaust). Ive run fantics and bultos as high as 35:1 and they didn't smoke excessively

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I'm using castrol power 1 racing 2t so should not be an issue, OK so i'm in the ball park the engine has been rebuilt so can discount seals, maybe a bit of old oil in exhaust.

It just seems a bit more smokey than i remember.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Rick

If you have just rebuilt the engine I assume you used oil to lube everything on assembly, this has to be burnt off together with the new oil you are putting in with your fuel. How long did you run it for, probably take a good thrashing to sort it out ! ( no not really on a new engine )

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, faussy said:

What brand/type of oil?

40:1 isn't too far off, i would never go below 50:1 on an air cooled bike of that era. Even at 40:1 your bike shouldn't smoke that bad, unless its an inappropriate oil or something up with your bike (seals or clogged exhaust). Ive run fantics and bultos as high as 35:1 and they didn't smoke excessively

Same here, I run my air cooled bikes at 40:1 without any problems or smoke.

I Also used Castrol without any issues at 40:1

Could be a damaged seal, or wrong way round?

Edited by suzuki250

Run the engine and carefully lay the bike over onto its side and rev the engine a couple of times. Bring the bike back upright and lay it over on the opposite side and repeat. Bring back to upright and mow rev the engine and see if it still smokes, this action usually clears the crankcase of any excess oil from the build up or standing for a while. Has the exhaust been cleaned out at all?

• Like 1

I use Castrol 1 Racing Fully Synthetic  75/1 in my Beta evo and it will smoke when you have to give it some especially after periods of low revs type sections 

I think this oil is almost to good for low revving engines  

• Like 1