TY 250 twinshock kickstart

old trials fanatic

• 1 month later...

On 9/18/2020 at 12:12 AM, littel said:

I got one off eBay YZ490 aftermarket but I could not find another.

9370CAFC-E9DF-4C9F-B6CB-DDA374026B06.jpeg

That looks more like TY mono than YZ490. Must be another lever that can be modified to fit on the original knuckle

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tony27 said:

That looks more like TY mono than YZ490. Must be another lever that can be modified to fit on the original knuckle

I've seen people fit XR600 (alloy) kickstart lever to the Yamaha knuckle, but they shorten them a lot to get them about the length of that one in the photo. I bought an alloy Honda lever for this purpose but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

I've got an MX250B kickstart lever assembly and a DT250 something kickstart lever assembly as emergency spares for my TY250s and they fit all right but are pretty long and the MX one is very heavy and has a bigger diameter knuckle pin. The standard TY250 kickstart lever is quite a short and light thing compared with the other Yamaha dirt bikes of the era that use the same spline. I think the TY lever is so short because the kickstart shaft is at the top of the motor while the others are only halfway up the motor.