Sherpa T 350 Ignition timing question

nw rain man

Another ignition timing question ! I acquired a model 191 Sherpa 350  which appeared to have minimal hours. Needed TLC with a standard piston  ( piston / cylinder tolerance of .004.) Cleaned up the bike and carb and put in new set of rings. Getting ready to start but first checked the points and timing. ( Bike ran when purchased ). Points within spec - .016 but when checked timing , I found  the BTDC was 6 mm !  Can this be given that the bike nan prior to purchase , even rode it up the street. Am I miss something . Here are a couple of pictures . Any help would be appreciated...

0470FB3C-071E-4B3E-BCED-4CC2751D6B68.jpeg

CC8F6329-6CD3-438C-BFAF-F65A39121696.jpeg

They are a pretty simple motor and will run even when the ignition timing is a fair way off. It can be a little tedious to get it set correctly at 2.7 - 2.9  . I have found the best way to do it is to set the points on the low side of the allowable gap and then rotate the backing plate by loosening the three screws that hold it in place to achieve the correct timing, and it's probably going to take a couple of goes to get it right.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

They are a pretty simple motor and will run even when the ignition timing is a fair way off. It can be a little tedious to get it set correctly at 2.7 - 2.9  . I have found the best way to do it is to set the points on the low side of the allowable gap and then rotate the backing plate by loosening the three screws that hold it in place to achieve the correct timing, and it's probably going to take a couple of goes to get it right.

Cheers Greg

Well congratulations nw rain man,

I’ve been asking sherpa325 how to do the timing on my 159 350 for over ten years. He has never told me how to do it and you ask and straight away you have a way of doing it. 

Thanks for doing that, I’ll go out in the shed and get straight on it. Make sure you tell us how you went.

p.s don’t forget to fit the carb

cheers brt650

Mmmh having some "simple" points ignitions I highly recommend that at first you set the distance gap between the points at 0,4mm!

My way to set the timing to my point ignition bikes:
I use a Multimeter or a Motoplat beep tool and install an OT gauge, then sat the gauge to zero and mount the beeper, then measure the
ignition according to the beep is according and note the measured distance before OT.

Now I take the rotor off without changing the position or in case the position has changed I readjust the crank to the measurement I made
and noted before and mark the position of the plate with a pencil, (I' am marking now the wrong or off position!)

Now I place a degree scale to the crank shaft and mount a pointer and turn the crank until I have the right timing, now I have the degree
in which direction I have to move the ignition plate, loosen it and move it the specified degree, fasten it again and remount the rotor and
check the ignition timing again.

This way you will get the most accurate timing a Bultaco sadly need, if timing is too much off the engine likes to run backwards or has a silly
behavior in my experience, that can even accor if the gap of the points are not correct set up.

Tools:
tYD9kCJdvGQbFYwGgW6aJpAgFUhhKZIn5XHHuIdALIVS2ySGY2J4UQ4vdlKIGhb17Nth0jHMAi4bBv50L0Tx_PRfUnz24Rckfd2usYedXY179KVslx6jtW3RetN-cdSg2lvhKByB8JOy0-DcKUOAFicEuS4NnBtUWcI2evDrw8txlA4Dq8Bycul0LUIFY055iHPx0nVdfyKFZclTp15Zg2o-pMp4lxTLh4as6w2aYNqwrP49MpVU6Yt-T8we2de5CX4c0J1XeSIZo3G1d0_hmj-7dV0h1wBnPtiC0xZ4ArrtZQJHT84d0HrkYgI1vZa4iefMyzc81WAFVoYkIMNLAOy2SOW7pytisW4nZcqsCwOTr8G-MLVn7KC-zJOFC1D_Efjm01cAAqET2jAqVYR84qQSwd7wCHV4Jr8wzOH8b_iMcntHOYFjVLXiJ3u_M-BRRrfejOKE0DOErYAnunHGD_bV1cmqHWPu1SAckBcefLeebFaKShjA74w09O9ludp9VFkDL8m9Mo0-FA_FltZDOvaQYE75MYdhpspqVCSwT4DaENnstmQ6oXkF9IRg6nNC8U4hCA1CmqCI-Adt832JTxpm-C4sydGdECVqPdCH2iZGU1hQW6FQp2nb1NB2-w3gBSEJTX6wRzeKsaWlTFD4a_JEsYOzwP5w-FdDv7Ah3N_HQObcisp_D6DRVk26wQ=w836-h627-no

zVBf8OeR262IryV8WYL50OwTdMcFAEOGAFFYpoGyTRSG6k358DfjhUH1GCfqknP2G4g2Tq5PkDh2C6WpJP_UgRyEjZxNWv5oPd60xIgLwp4E00Q_8JsfI6Sb8WudImXeplVBK8zox8ojRRnQz0-g_fDS29K6wtj9WfJwm4sIX8Nc5tfAVgepifaym4JgB49ITGPLJ9-CNw9ZluM09va2j-0isnPeTATdPOBCBcZYsKO8o1DBfBMhk4N71o5rN7K6n9xpbktIxyRGzdxFhFFbtMuw-ScBwTF_igB_7kqwcZ0r69SfySOYHMUJ8jqQ6FfLGxbR38zC6HFMP2zW_iVBKDaFUS3y9hFa939D4im-XDOpUh_zkHA1hf2KE5ZwvOiswAZMjKqKot_Rg257IBLtF3N_75NILnWKTbPRFPQO5rhidZZlOfmM43_ckEDZsN-uwQ6mSzmz3tu7WCMknPV0eUb3GhOF_P5BIiw9k_b5hUzGMebwrfuRtVtZ6eXSOiTCww50Td8Wp1-2vj3ca6kIcyOK_RoFeOKS1eMR7iAwx5scX0JkHdUBAo0OOCEjrfrDdl3XkWqEiiajJ-GoetCHAHAfq3iQKeHt0By_rXQZPZShih7MWGcGkALXrEBkMNRVPmyvkw3NkFShvl5ltEiLSWtyAg6WH4SwJxFjA7-jLZKuKVMACeLTGSLlXN1n1Q=w873-h630-no

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sherpa325 said:

That's not the only thing that isn't working and using your mates wife for your avatar, what can I say

5 hours ago, pschrauber said:

Hi BRT650, your avatar isn't moving anymore!

That’s my mum Sherpa325. I told mum there was a handsome gentleman from Queensland that might give her a call , but that hasn’t happened yet feetupfun.

Hello pschrauber, I like your version of setting timing much better than sherpa325. I think his explanation is lost in the translation somehow. My Avatar, maybe it’s been affected by covid-19. I can’t remember how I did it, so there’s no way I can fix it.

cheers everyone

Brt650

• Like 2