Beta evo.

Corker

Hi all.Just looking for some advice.Ive been offered the chance to purchase what I’ve been told a 2012 beta evo 250 factory.its just had engine rebuild and stator rewound.The first question is during a test ride for an hour the cooling fan never stopped apart from first few mins of running.is this normal.The other question is the rear mudguard is black/red but the tank side covers are white which is the correct one.How would I make sure it is the year I’m told.Frame is black aswell.how much would it be worth.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply’s.I rang beta Uk with the vin and it is a 2011 Evo but not factory.The fan running all time just concerned me as I’m new to trials but thanks for reassuring me.The bike is in used condition as expected but can’t see anything major that would concern me.The guy said he’s looking in the region of £1700. Which seems a good price from what you suggested rich500.

Are there any specific areas to look for damage or wear before I decide.

Thanks in advance.

Well as it's a 2011 and non factory then that price is probably a bit more like but I still would of thought about 2k so its a decent price at 1700. Fan shouldn't run all the time but they do often stay on for a quite a while when it gets hot - either way it's better than not running that's for sure! To be honest being a trials bike it will have plenty of general wear and tear, all trials bikes carry a few battle wounds but as long as it's been well maintained, regular oil changes etc through it's life then it should be fine. Might be worth checking if it's done the SSDT at any point as that can be tough on bikes, but then again if it's had an engine rebuild then all good really. Sounds like a good buy to me, Betas are great bikes so if you're new to trials it's a good choice.

"Engine rebuild" doesn't tell you much, depends on exactly what was replaced, but £1700 sounds OK regardless.

The fan is either working fine or the thermostat has been bypassed so it runs all of the time, not a big issue either way. 

Check wear items, chain,  sprockets,  linkage, wheel bearings, headstock,  tyres, plastics etc. Costs can add up on these, price is OK if it doesn't need several of these.

As totty79 said check the visible items that he’s listed above but also unless he has receipts, then also factor in brakes pads front and rear, Caliper piston sets front and rear, rear brake master cylinder and clutch and front brake master cylinder.... I haven't a bike yet that I haven’t that I had to change them in the first year 

• Thanks 1

Hi all.

just a bit of an update so far.Tbe guy has let me keep hold of the bike over the weekend to have a proper look at it as he just works across the road from me.I have had a quick look over it tonight briefly I have noticed the chain tensioner pivot is worn badly.The rear brake hose has chaffed in certain areas.no biggy but something to bear in mind but the thing that worries me most is the there doesn’t seem to be any resistance on rear shock and if you stand on pegs and bounce it it bottoms out and I’m only 5.7 and 11 stone so is that normal.whats peoples thoughts on this.If it was damper can they be rebuilt and at what cost or is it the spring that’s weak.With regards to the engine he said the main bearings nipped up so it’s just bottom end that’s been replaced.

Thats a bit unusual to have the main bearings nip up! By the time they have run out of oil the top end would have been seriously seized with the piston rings tearing away at the bore. I am always amazed at the way people predict how much X or Y is worth without any sight of a photo of the offending article. From your description it  looks like there is quite a bit of expense thats going to be needed to sort out the rear suspension, the linkage needs checking for wear to but bear in mind you have a nine year old bike on offer and the owner has let you have the bike for a good look...good man. Your best bet is to look at other ads for the same or similar bikes and gauge the value from those and what you are prepared to pay. The swinging arm will undoubtedly be twisted if the bikes been used hard. The head bearings and front forks will also need serious inspection. The fuel tank may have swelled up due to ethanol fuel. Have a good look at the cooling fan wiring as it might be rigged to run permanently. On the other hand you might just have a nice bike in there. From my experience the I.O.M has lots of rocks which is not always a good thing for a trials bike in the damage department. 

• Thanks 1