How to know the idle speed

Sum

Hi all,

The manual of 2020 TXT says the idle should be adjusted to 900-1,000 rpm, but how can I know the rpm?

The manual shows a "diagnostic connector". Does it mean I can connect an OBD scanner to read diagnostic information including rpm?

If so, does anybody know what is the connector between an OBD and the GasGas "diagnostic connector"?

Adjust the idle so it is smooth and does not die.  If it is too fast, it will pull you faster than you want to go.  Too low idle, you will fight to keep it running.  It needs to be very low to verify and adjust jetting, but after that you can set the idle where ever woks for you. If it is jetted properly, set the idle low and ride it.  You will find a place it works best.

There is an OBD connection port with a JST plug from 2018 bikes onwards. Black plug, right hand side, near frame rail middle of tank area. Should have a blanking plug in it.

You need the Leonelli cable that goes from the JST plug on the bike to the OBD cable on the reader to make it work though.

• Like 1

Everyone is different, and its not a requirement that your bike runs between 900-1000 rpm.I know older guys that don't even run a tickover on new bikes because they aren't clutch users, while mine is much higher than average because i hate a bike stalling when i hop. Its only a guide, have it set at what you like

Edited by faussy

10 hours ago, faussy said:

Everyone is different, and its not a requirement that your bike runs between 900-1000 rpm.I know older guys that don't even run a tickover on new bikes because they aren't clutch users, while mine is much higher than average because i hate a bike stalling when i hop. Its only a guide, have it set at what you like

I agree, unless riding a 4rt which requires a specific idle speed to work properly, set it by feel, not a figure from a book.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:11 AM, Sum said:

Hi all,

The manual of 2020 TXT says the idle should be adjusted to 900-1,000 rpm, but how can I know the rpm?

The manual shows a "diagnostic connector". Does it mean I can connect an OBD scanner to read diagnostic information including rpm?

If so, does anybody know what is the connector between an OBD and the GasGas "diagnostic connector"?

You could buy a timing light like the Accuspark SP8000.  This has a rev counter function which works off a clamp off the spark plug lead.  Also has a 2/4 Stroke selector switch so you dont have to do the maths!

On 9/18/2020 at 1:28 AM, Sum said:

Thanks Arnoux,

I tried to find the Leonelli cable, but can't find it in Internet. Could you tell me where I can buy it?

Thanks Jeff and faussy for the tips.

I believe the Gas Gas Part number for the cable is:  EM10225TT-CLR-1 

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/12/2020 at 11:10 PM, mung said:

Some engine hour meters also have a rpm function. If you have to know the actual idle number that would be a easy and cheap way to do it.

Thanks Mnug.

I took this route and installed an hour/tach meter.

The installation was easy. The toughest part was to find a flat place to attach the meter because GasGas TXT has round shapes everywhere.

I ended up in using heavy-duty double-sided Velcro and attached it right above the gas tank cap, which worked quite well.

I think the hour meter is more useful for maintenance but it is nice to have the tach too.

Previously I chose an idle speed based on my liking, which turned out to be 1,300rpm. It is a bit higher than the factory recommended (900-1,100) but not too bad.