Beta Rev 3 engine smoke issue

Dualta

Hi everyone,

I was riding trails a while back when smoke started rising from the front of the engine near the forks. I’m not mechanically skilled, but a guy who was there reckoned I needed coolant. When I topped it up with coolant, hardly any went in, so I reckon that wasn’t it. Then it wouldn’t start. I cleaned the plug, but no luck. The manual asked for a NGK BR7ES plug, but when I removed the old plug, it’s a BP5ES. Plug discrepancy apart, does anyone have any idea what the smoke might have been, sand if it might be related to the engine not starting now?

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, b40rt said:

Was it smoke (ie from exhaust) or steam from engine / radiator ?

Does the fan run ?

Did you squeeze hoses to check for air locks ?

Are you getting a spark ?

Is the plug wet or dry ? 

It’s was definitely smoke rising from the front of the engine, from around the fan area. It want steam. That was the first thing I thought it was, but it was definitely smoke. 

I don’t know if the fan’s running because the bike won’t start. When it smoked on the trail, I walked it back to the car, which was close enough. I haven’t run the engine since. 

I haven’t squeezed the hoses. I’ve no idea how to do that, but I’ll find out and give it a go. 

I didn’t check if I was getting a spark. I didn’t know I could do that. I’ll check it in the morning. 

The plug was wet. I dried it off and took a wire brush to it to clean the spark end. No joy. 

Thanks for the help ?

Edited by Dualta
  • Thanks 1