349 wiring

netley

Hi, Just looking at returning to my 349 after 6 months of working on an old British bike.

My bike has a wiring loom that is a little tatty. It has an aftermarket switch but didn't have any lights. I have bought aftermarket front and rear lights and managed to wire them in and my electrical knowledge is all but non existant!

All appears to work but when the revs rise the bulbs blow. How is the voltage regulated? I need the lights for an mot.

Thanks for looking.

Neil

If your need is purely to get an MoT then just take the lights off altogether.  If you really need to use lights you can fit a diode in to the circuit to restrict voltage.  I'm assuming the bike is six volt but can't remember what the diode we used to fit back in the day was called. The twelve volt version was universally known as a zener diode, though presumably a proprietary name, and possibly available in various voltages.  The alternative was to fit twentyfour volt bulbs.

No doubt technology has moved on and someone will be able to suggest a more modern alternative.

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

If your need is purely to get an MoT then just take the lights off altogether.  If you really need to use lights you can fit a diode in to the circuit to restrict voltage.  I'm assuming the bike is six volt but can't remember what the diode we used to fit back in the day was called. The twelve volt version was universally known as a zener diode, though presumably a proprietary name, and possibly available in various voltages.  The alternative was to fit twentyfour volt bulbs.

No doubt technology has moved on and someone will be able to suggest a more modern alternative.

Thank you. I need working lights as there's a trial I want to enter when the world is sane again, which stipulates having working lights.

A friend says he may be able to help as he thinks my aftermarket switch is wired wrongly. Is there a wiring diagram of the switch? Does anyone have one?

18 hours ago, netley said:

Thank you. I need working lights as there's a trial I want to enter when the world is sane again, which stipulates having working lights.

A friend says he may be able to help as he thinks my aftermarket switch is wired wrongly. Is there a wiring diagram of the switch? Does anyone have one?

its easier for you to google Montesa cota wiring diagram than to add one here. they are readily available.

7 minutes ago, bigshineybike said:

its easier for you to google Montesa cota wiring diagram than to add one here. they are readily available.

I have a diagram, I'm after one of just the switch as the switch I have is not original. I've seen an original switch for 35 euros but with out any wiring.

There are ones with wiring harness attached but 140 euros? I don't think so especially when they are selling a generic £5 brake light switch for 100 euros !!!