New vs old trials bike geometry

Creepytheclutchmaster

Just out of interest today I was looking for the geometry of a beta rev 3, to compare it to a beta tr34 from the late 80,s just to see how much bikes have changed from that view point. after some Internet trawling I could not find the geometry charts for either bike, in fact not much info came up for any make which I was supprise about. I do abit of mountain biking and geometry charts are easy to find for pretty much any old shed, I'd would have thought with trials being a very technical sport geometry would be discussed a fair bit on here. Does nobody give a **** about the geometry of there bikes in the  trials world or is it just a mountain bike obsession cheers. 

There is a video where Sammy Miller talks about his first home built trials bike,it's geometry and how it's essentially the same a modern bike.... 63.5 degree steering head angle and 53 inch wheelbase. Jerry Young the first USA National Trials Champion and Father of Ryan Young 6 times USA National Champion, told me basically the same thing.... His first bike which he still owns and rides, a 1967 Triumph Cub converted from road to trials, has the same wheelbase and steering head angle as his 2019 Sherco.   The main change over time has been the reduction of weight and lowering of the center of gravity.

Yes I give many ****s about geometry and have a strong interest in the geometry of 1970s trials bikes. They are great fun to experiment with. I make my own drawings because manufacturers specs are way too vague, sometimes wrong and usually refer to an unladen bike.

Modern bikes have excellent geometry already and people fine tune it with the suspension, handlebars and footpegs.

• Like 1