seadogtypebadger

seadogtypeBadger

Hi

Have just bought a montesa cota 348/349 ??  can anyone out there help identify what ive got before I go looking for parts, chassis and engine numbers match 51M24661, the frame appears to split and has a sump guard at the bottom and has been painted white (badly) should this be black not seen a white one??.

Hopefully I have managed to load a couple of pics. All replys gratefully recieved.

Cheers Seadogtypebadger

PA010050.JPG

PA010051.JPG

Defo a 349, as said it should have a grey frame and matching grey mudguards, front and rear.

the tank/seat unit should sit flush to the rear guard, is it the correct air box or is that not holding it up, it's just the image and not held down tightly?

Edited by jonboy883

8 minutes ago, jonboy883 said:

Defo a 349, as said it should have a grey frame and matching grey mudguards, front and rear.

the tank/seat unit should sit flush to the rear guard, is it the correct air box or is that not holding it up, it's just the image and not held down tightly?

Hi

Thanks , tank just rested on for photo

When you have the engine in pieces, (oh, you were going to strip the engine and fit new seals all round, especially crankshaft seals weren't you), remove the paint and then respray as individual components - 2 x crankcase halves, magneto cover, clutch cover, head and barrel. 

https://www.frost.co.uk/high-temp-satin-black-barrel-paint-aerosol/

Trying to touch up all those bare areas will always look *****.

Edited by dr nosh
spelling

16 hours ago, dr nosh said:

When you have the engine in pieces, (oh, you were going to strip the engine and fit new seals all round, especially crankshaft seals weren't you), remove the paint and then respray as individual components - 2 x crankcase halves, magneto cover, clutch cover, head and barrel. 

https://www.frost.co.uk/high-temp-satin-black-barrel-paint-aerosol/

Trying to touch up all those bare areas will always look *****.

Hi

thanks for that ,a rebuild , thats what was in my mind, was told on purchase engine had been rebuilt , ha ha, may try to get going first, could be interesting but thats what we buy these toys for .

Cheers

Hi guys again

Montesa cota 349

Gearbox and clutch oils, Found out the quantities etc  but can anyone tell me is there a trick how to check the levels without draining and refilling, put the required amount in and no sign in the filler hole/ no dipstick is it just guess work to top up or a complete change ????

• 5 months later...

Hi

After much messing about with the above have it all thrown together before total strip down , want a quick ride , clutch not realeasing, been playing with it what seems like ages , have had the clutch cover off and operate clutch the plates appear free , fitted larger plunger but none of this has worked, .

Operate the clutch arm fully still wont release.

The clutch basket is partially behind the flywheel weight , guess this needs to come off to remove clutch basket,do i need pullers for this ,begining to get out of my comfort zone  or should I have a good ride around with clutch pulled in, ( probem is finding a field )

Sorry about the waffle but its getting near to being left in shed and find something else , been told its not worth putting into garage , cost against value.

Cheers