90,s vs 00,s how much better??

Hi all iv been watching alot of the 80,s 90,s and 00,s World trials videos over the past few weeks as i injured my shoulder mountain bikeing. And obviously now I want another trials bike to injur my other shoulder on lol, looking at what alot of the 90,s bikes are capable of how much better realy is say a 2009 evo or rev3 over a 1999 techno, especially from a novices point of view. Obviously if your  splatting 6ft rock faces I'd imagine the slight weight reduction will help, but from a middle of the road novice point of view? , Iv had a few bikes sherco betas gasgas all old ish early to mid 00,s versions iv got a budget of around 1500-2000 but thinking shall I go the other way and get say a beta tr34 or twinshock do I realy need a shiny sherco st or something cheers.. ? 

At your budget forget a TR34 or twinshock as they are holding and increasing in value daily so possibly to pricey for a good one now!

As a novice a 98 or 99 Techno or a later rev3 would be ideal for a novice, and if you can find a 200cc one,brilliant, as they are really forgiving and not a handful. Your other shoulder will remain intact.

Because I have one, consider also a Yam engined Scorpa (2001-2006) bullet proof engine, soft, smooth power, and will not bully you too much.

Edited by jonboy883
  • Like 1

I do like the look of the scorpa sy 250 and there is a few for sale at the moment, I like the idea of the air cooled older bikes as well no more '' why isn't my fan kicking in'' has my thermostat gone again lol. Why don't hardly any manufacturers make air cooled bikes any more?? I'd have thought thay would be very popular and easy to manufacture. The tyf125 looks like a fun bike but you don't see many for sale. 

On 10/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

Hi all iv been watching alot of the 80,s 90,s and 00,s World trials videos over the past few weeks as i injured my shoulder mountain bikeing. And obviously now I want another trials bike to injur my other shoulder on lol, looking at what alot of the 90,s bikes are capable of how much better realy is say a 2009 evo or rev3 over a 1999 techno, especially from a novices point of view. Obviously if your  splatting 6ft rock faces I'd imagine the slight weight reduction will help, but from a middle of the road novice point of view? , Iv had a few bikes sherco betas gasgas all old ish early to mid 00,s versions iv got a budget of around 1500-2000 but thinking shall I go the other way and get say a beta tr34 or twinshock do I realy need a shiny sherco st or something cheers.. ? 

You could say everything 2002 and newer could be viewed as Modern in the trials world. Anything from`89 to 2000 was the first decade of water cooled bikes. So alot of learning and development through those years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

I do like the look of the scorpa sy 250 and there is a few for sale at the moment, I like the idea of the air cooled older bikes as well no more '' why isn't my fan kicking in'' has my thermostat gone again lol. Why don't hardly any manufacturers make air cooled bikes any more?? I'd have thought thay would be very popular and easy to manufacture. The tyf125 looks like a fun bike but you don't see many for sale. 

The Scorpa 125 fourstroke with the Yamaha engine is a nice bike and incredibly reliable and long lasting. They are fine to ride but were seen as underpowered by many potential customers

I had fond memories of my knackered 2001 Rev 3 which I replaced with a 2019 TRS RR. Then the other day I had a go on a mates knackered 2006 Rev 3 and all fond memories evaporated. 

I'm sure old bikes are just as competitive in the right hands but the feel and pleasure of riding a newer bike is astounding in comparison. People will say "a good rider on an old bike..." Etc. But for a novice, you will be more comfortable on a newer bike. 

For your budget, I'd try and get as new/good condition Evo. 

I recently acquired a 2001 270 Rev 3 with very little wear on the original tires.  I also have a 2016 Beta evo 4t 300 and am a very average not great rider.  The biggest difference is the 2t - 4t thing.  (Prior to the 4t I had a 2t 300 Beta and the low end power was very soft and smooth.  In contrast, the 270 is quite sharp right off the bottom.)  The second biggest is poor traction on 20 year old tires.  The Rev 3 feels a lighter than than the 4t.  The rear brake is much more powerful and it shifts smoother than other Betas I have owned.  Front brakes feel the same.  Steering geometry feels pretty much the same.  The Rev 3 suspension feels stiffer.  I have had 2 evos and it took quite a while for the suspension to break in so it could be that it needs break in or it is by design or maybe by not moving for 20 years.  In the not too distant past I have had a 2008 rev3 200, 300 2t Factory and the 4t 300 plus get occasional rides on brand new bikes.  I ride about the same on all of them.  The 2008 had a fair amount of hours on it and the suspension was quite plush so I think the 01 will break in.   

I would look for a very well maintained bike regardless of year.  Low hours are desirable.  Lots of people ride Hondas so light weight can not be the most important thing.   

Within your budget you could do a lot worse than get a late Montesa 315. Apart from the Honda build quality I always found them pretty forgiving and they are def starting to appreciate in value. Lovely bikes.

23 minutes ago, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

Thanks for the comments everyone, I had my eye on a 2003 scorpa sy 250,looked very well kept and sold before I could get there. I think I should stretch the wallet open abit more and go for a beta evo, I did like my old rev 3 tbh. 

The biggest difference I found between the Rev 3 and my missus' Evo is the Evo lifts the front wheel much easier on the clutch and is more controllable for getting over obstacles.  She and I originally shared the Rev to learn on and it was not a bad machine, but the Evo is better.  It is hard to find a cheap Evo (or a cheap bike at all for that matter).  Realistically you need min. two grand IMHO.  Prices seem to have gone up a bit this year end after lockdown looking at eBay.  My TRS was newer than the wife's Evo (2014 250 2t, £2,300) and more expensive, but I have spent very little on it (rear wheel bearings 20 quid) but the Evo has had a few hundred (not counting the back mudguard which was not the bike's fault..)

I read a lot of threads on here and the consensus seemed to be buy as new as you can and as much as you can afford.  All I can say is that I agree with that.  The TRS spat me off a few times until I got used to the power but I love it now.  My wife's Beta is an old nail by comparison.  She is happy enough with it but a newer bike will be on next year's list I think.

• Like 1

I personal experience is

MONTESA 315 bought around 2009 for about £1000, should never have sold it.

Then had the rose tinted view of a TY175 to potter around on, it was worn out ,cost a fortune as well it was 30 yes old and parts cost more than modern bikes, got rid asap.

Then bought a beta 250 4t, 2013, lovely bike, never missed a beat, only cost consumables and sold for close to purchase price 4 years later

Now in a 2020 MONTESA Repsol.

Buy as late and as in good condition as you can, it'll save you in the long run. Beta 2t is probably best option and no bigger than 250

Edited by retromlc
  • Like 2