90,s vs 00,s how much better??

7 hours ago, retromlc said:

I personal experience is

MONTESA 315 bought around 2009 for about £1000, should never have sold it.

Then had the rose tinted view of a TY175 to potter around on, it was worn out ,cost a fortune as well it was 30 yes old and parts cost more than modern bikes, got rid asap.

Then bought a beta 250 4t, 2013, lovely bike, never missed a beat, only cost consumables and sold for close to purchase price 4 years later

Now in a 2020 MONTESA Repsol.

Buy as late and as in good condition as you can, it'll save you in the long run. Beta 2t is probably best option and no bigger than 250

I must admit that my rose-tinted glasses have been getting the better of me on ebay recently looking at ty, s and fantics, I'm glad you put that and I can imagine its exactly what  I'd end up doing myself lol. A mid-late 00,s sherco or gas gas is probably the most sensible option cheers 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

I must admit that my rose-tinted glasses have been getting the better of me on ebay recently looking at ty, s and fantics, I'm glad you put that and I can imagine its exactly what  I'd end up doing myself lol. A mid-late 00,s sherco or gas gas is probably the most sensible option cheers 

i have dabbled with twinshocks over the years Yam Majesty etc, but they are 30 years old and are costly to keep running week in, week out and I find the TYZ, a decent classic type alternative, for club trials

It's well built, sounds great (induction) and goes well in sections and the suspension is ok too, plus it grips for England

Non engine spares, can become a problem, but generally it's robust etc

That said the 4RT is also a great bike (though not for all)

Edited by johnnyboxer