Getting a MAR ready for first event in two weeks.

Ftwelder

15 hours ago, woody said:

A better way to locate the wire and protect it from the flywheel is to run it behind the stator, to do that the webs behind it need to be ground back to make room

Thanks for that tip, it worked well.  I used a 12mm carbide burr with a ball end so I could chamfer the edges of the cuts while I was as it. 

I made good progress today and got it fully assembled but more work is needed. When I was changing the throttle and cable I broke the adjuster boss off the top of the carb. I made a work around with epoxy but have a littler throttle cable play and no adjustment. I also have a persistent fork oil leak., I replaced O-rings at the bottom and even installed a gasket under the bolt head but left side is still leaking. What I hope is the final obstacle is the fuel petcock is clogged and no fuel is flowing. I only put a liter or so in the tank so I can lay the machine on it on it's side and remove the petcock and hopefully restore it without spilling gas. I need to have it running by 7:00 AM to make it to the event on time.

The tank had holes and was deformed from ethanol fuel and/or crash damage to is will be ugly for a while. I used the Kaswell kit and adding fiberglass to the outside.

50526286402_56eec28fc1_h.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

50525398928_a5aa48ee42_h.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

There are other things but I am done for today,.

Last night I had laid the bike on it's side in preparation to remove the petcock and carburetor this morning. Upon arrival, I decided to move the bike to another spot and when I stood it up, started flowing gas! I pushed it to the embankment and it fired right up!  I did a quick plug reading, jetting seemed fine so I went back, worked on the throttle to remove the slack and took her out for a spin. Other than having no brakes it works really well. It idled down low and the clutch seemed amazing. It started several times with a single kick, throttle closed. g

I think I figured out where I went wrong on the fork work. I missed the seal between the damping rod and bottom cone. Thanks for looking.

50529733503_b1bf3f13c0_h.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

50530457041_1841da4b44_h.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

50530457061_31ba6bb478_h.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

• Like 1