Devon Trial GB - only 1 Championship Rider?

johnnyboxer

I see from the coverage on Facebook and ACU, that this last weekend's Devon round, had only 1, yes.......a single Championship Class rider and that was Iwan Roberts

What is going on ? (I know Covid)

The Trial2 and Trial Expert Classes & Trial 125 were well supported

So is this what the British Championship has become?

Too many classes, no blue riband British Champion?

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

Looking at the pictures and the weather I bet the top six were glad they stayed in warmer climate..

Admirations to the organizers/observers and riders for sticking it out  - bad enough for one day but to have 2 days  -great effort .

• Like 2

I don't buy the covid excuse, it was over 2 weeks since the previous world round, and the 125 riders didn't seem to mind coming back home to compete it. And less rounds doesn't diminish a championship, all it does is make it easier for an upset to occur.

Edited by faussy

7 hours ago, al_orange said:

Pretty sure there was a statement before the trial saying that the six top guys couldn't manage to do both the British and the World (due to travel restrictions/quarantine etc.) so chose to focus on Trial GP. 

I see, thanks for the explanation and makes sense, that they do the World rounds, for their sponsors

British championship  what a joke multi class/multi course "quick fix"  NEVER work because the jump between the courses  is far to much ( you can see this at club trials) with sections very few can ride there never will be a big entry for it ,so when 6 riders YES six dont turn up   it turns into a farce with 1 rider so even  without the covid excuse there would only been 7 so do these 7 really need there own course  why not  ease the sections drop them all on i 1 course  and get a true trials champion what have you got to lose as the top class at btc can not go on like this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, on it said:

British championship  what a joke multi class/multi course "quick fix"  NEVER work because the jump between the courses  is far to much ( you can see this at club trials) with sections very few can ride there never will be a big entry for it ,so when 6 riders YES six dont turn up   it turns into a farce with 1 rider so even  without the covid excuse there would only been 7 so do these 7 really need there own course  why not  ease the sections drop them all on i 1 course  and get a true trials champion what have you got to lose as the top class at btc can not go on like this 

Sounds like a great way to help up and coming riders compete at a level close to WTC or already established riders to maintain their ability......

We already have trials like you describe, they are called national trials. The british championship is for the best in britain (and sometimes overseas) to push the limits as far as possible

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, on it said:

There will never be a big entry because only a few can ride it. Havent you answered your own question?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, on it said:

If you eased up the top route to increase entry, we'd never have world riders level interested / younger riders would never progress to international as the step would be huge. Its bad enough at the minute. 

• Like 3

The top 6 / 8/ 10  how ever many want it super tough to push themselves/each other

The up and coming  -older past BTC  rider doesn't want to hurt themselves 

The good center expert  / older older BTC rider (sorry Dan) just want a good days sport and a national championship aimed at a slightly higher level then S3 champ.

The good Local Centre riders can ride and enjoy the event without being hurt.

Always going to be a compromise but Kind of works at the moment  - good competition in each class and the organizer get enough riders to balance the books

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyl said:

The top 6 / 8/ 10  how ever many want it super tough to push themselves/each other

The up and coming  -older past BTC  rider doesn't want to hurt themselves 

The good center expert  / older older BTC rider (sorry Dan) just want a good days sport and a national championship aimed at a slightly higher level then S3 champ.

The good Local Centre riders can ride and enjoy the event without being hurt.

Always going to be a compromise but Kind of works at the moment  - good competition in each class and the organizer get enough riders to balance the books

Totally agree. I think its spot on the way it is. You cant criticise the whole championship just because covid has effected the top level entry. The overall entry across all classes the last few years has been great i think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, faussy said:

Totally agree. I think its spot on the way it is. You cant criticise the whole championship just because covid has effected the top level entry. The overall entry across all classes the last few years has been great i think. 

And the top boys get to show how good and how brave they are - which is good for joe public as when they are allowed back in

• Like 1

After reading replies I stand corrected about easing the BRITISH TRIALS CHAMPIONSHIP course,as pointed out  " its the blue ribbon of trials, the riders need pushing to there limit , we DO have national trials to get riders to a level to ride BTC  We need hard events were the elite riders in the country get to show there skills off to joe public and  these riders need pushing if there going to make it on the world stage "!.   SO by all means keep the British Trials Championship Hard for a elite group of  6 or so riders  im sure its a winning formula ! as its working so well at WTC  what can go wrong . Time to bust some peoples bubble trials can survive without the elite riders 

Edited by on it
text

I think the current format is as good as it can be in view of very few elite riders. I really enjoyed last few BC rounds I watched. Championship class for those who compete in or aspire to compete in WTC with lower classes to have a decent size entry to justify putting a trial on. As machines & tyres have advanced over the years the difference in sections which the top riders can get up is so different from lower level (but still good riders) that same course is not practical. At best many years ago I was a mid level green course riders and remember in late 70's and early 80's riding same course (only 1 in most trials) as Malcomb Rathmell and Martin Lampkin who were competing for the WTC at the time, I could get up the majority of the sections although anything less than a 3 would be an achievement, this is not possible these days. 

My only comment would be I would like to see the ACU doing more to encourage youngsters to enter then stick with the sport to get more up and coming riders to the elite level. 

• Like 1