Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboxer

Devon Trial GB - only 1 Championship Rider?

Recommended Posts

I've just watched the BVM footage from the event. I'm sure there's a high degree of organisation and logistics involved but why on earth didn't they re-schedule it? Or it that just not done for GB events? Looks like a waste of time and effort for all involved. Sure, it's meant to be tough but I can't imagine anyone either riding, spectating, or observing enjoyed it in any way. Or is that not the point?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

On 10/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, on it said:

After reading replies I stand corrected about easing the BRITISH TRIALS CHAMPIONSHIP course,as pointed out  " its the blue ribbon of trials, the riders need pushing to there limit , we DO have national trials to get riders to a level to ride BTC  We need hard events were the elite riders in the country get to show there skills off to joe public and  these riders need pushing if there going to make it on the world stage "!.   SO by all means keep the British Trials Championship Hard for a elite group of  6 or so riders  im sure its a winning formula ! as its working so well at WTC  what can go wrong . Time to bust some peoples bubble trials can survive without the elite riders 

No one has said it works well or a winning formula, its a compromise and simply the hardest route for the best riders, several have tried respectfully to explain this but just cos you disagree doesn't mean youre right? Decreasing the severity will not increase overall participation by one rider afaik, who would jump up from the second route and would the top WTC lads just not bother with the BTC that was dead easy?

Can trials survive without an elite class, of course it can. Is it good for the sport to have a world and British elite class, well yes. Many in the sport or business want it.

My biggest objection to your point and dismissal of the BTC or WTC is that if anyone is ever good enough aren't they entitled (pun intended) to have a crack at the best and see if they can ride at a level 99.99% of us can only dream of, and who would want to stop them in our sport?

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Acting and drama can survive without Hollywood superstars but do you want to watch the am dram pantomime on a Saturday night prime tv 😂😂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Decreasing the severity will not increase overall participation by one rider afaik, who would jump up from the second route and would the top WTC lads just not bother with the BTC that was dead easy?

So decreasing severity will not increase participation  ? so why have we had to do we do it at club level with all the courses   ?  well some of these riders are happy to go and ride a national  & as you point out whos going to jump up from the second route well why bother to run the second route then ? ,If  these are the "elite riders" they will win no matter  what hard or easy what is the point of the sport getting to the point were 99.99% do not even relate to it any more if you want to see them do all the tricks go to the circus or watch them on saturday night prime tv BGT ! 

 

4 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

Acting and drama can survive without Hollywood superstars but do you want to watch the am dram pantomime on a Saturday night prime tv 😂😂

well i would say yes why not i would give it a go  might be better than whats on TV NOW bit like the BTC & WTC wont know till you give it a try 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, on it said:

So decreasing severity will not increase participation ?

Absolutely not at BTC and WTC bothe series try to maintain severity so people at the top lose marks.

so why have we had to do we do it at club level with all the courses   ?

You dont if the level is set correctly

  well some of these riders are happy to go and ride a national  & as you point out whos going to jump up from the second route well why bother to run the second route then ?

Because the severity is set for that level of rider, or that type of rider Ross Danby and Sam Haslam for instance.

,If  these are the "elite riders" they will win no matter  what hard or easy what is the point of the sport getting to the point were 99.99% do not even relate to it any more if you want to see them do all the tricks go to the circus or watch them on saturday night prime tv BGT ! 

You are making a leap from being able to ride something hard to not being interested in watching it. As illustrated above thats just not logical. BTC at the rounds Ive been to recently a fair few spectators. Its clearly not for everyone but whats the alternative?

8 hours ago, on it said:

 

well i would say yes why not i would give it a go  might be better than whats on TV NOW bit like the BTC & WTC wont know till you give it a try 

Were not discussing TV are we, that was an analogy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
13 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

No one has said it works well or a winning formula, its a compromise and simply the hardest route for the best riders, several have tried respectfully to explain this but just cos you disagree doesn't mean youre right? Decreasing the severity will not increase overall participation by one rider afaik, who would jump up from the second route and would the top WTC lads just not bother with the BTC that was dead easy?

Can trials survive without an elite class, of course it can. Is it good for the sport to have a world and British elite class, well yes. Many in the sport or business want it.

My biggest objection to your point and dismissal of the BTC or WTC is that if anyone is ever good enough aren't they entitled (pun intended) to have a crack at the best and see if they can ride at a level 99.99% of us can only dream of, and who would want to stop them in our sport?

@b40rt why confused?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

My biggest objection to your point and dismissal of the BTC or WTC is that if anyone is ever good enough aren't they entitled (pun intended) to have a crack at the best and see if they can ride at a level 99.99% of us can only dream of, and who would want to stop them in our sport?

The world rounds are as relevant to many as football .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Absolutely not at BTC and WTC bothe series try to maintain severity so people at the top lose marks.

so with that thinking set the trial for 1 man /woman and forget about the rest of the entry 

 

10 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

You dont if the level is set correctly

so your saying the level is not set correctly due to having the second course ?

 

10 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Because the severity is set for that level of rider, or that type of rider Ross Danby and Sam Haslam for instance.

have these riders both rode BTC /elite riders ?

 

10 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

You are making a leap from being able to ride something hard to not being interested in watching it. As illustrated above thats just not logical. BTC at the rounds Ive been to recently a fair few spectators. Its clearly not for everyone but whats the alternative

well the alternative is not bother to go and watch which seems to be the case  ,

 

10 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Were not discussing TV are we, that was an analogy.

did I bring TV up no I DID NOT !

As for the top riders wanting hard sections to be pushed to there limit for the  good and benefit of the sport ?  I feel its more good and benefit  to there pocket wage/sponsorship  as  hard sections few can ride keep there advantage going 

Edited by on it
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 10/13/2020 at 12:36 PM, al_orange said:

I've just watched the BVM footage from the event. I'm sure there's a high degree of organisation and logistics involved but why on earth didn't they re-schedule it? Or it that just not done for GB events? Looks like a waste of time and effort for all involved. Sure, it's meant to be tough but I can't imagine anyone either riding, spectating, or observing enjoyed it in any way. Or is that not the point?  

The calander is normally (not this year!) set in stone around late october / november time - once an event has a date, further calanders (clubs, local events, etc) are built around it and trade offs are made (clash with the SSDT yes/no, clash with the local village fete, etc, etc). Once the ball is rolling its very difficult to stop. Even when bad weather comes in, the riders, venue, club, series prmototer, etc might already be committed elsewhere. As i understand it the BTC calander is set to avoid euro trial round and the WTC, then they set the BTC (around other tentpole events like the scottish, scott, etc). Then others that ineract are set around it - eg ladies and youth rounds (some competitors do both). As i've aluded too there are often local considerations on the venue or the club (other events going on).

Really we are in the UK and expect bad weather - we canceled a big event at the last minute last year in the face of simialr weather and took a lot of flack for it, however most consider trials a more all weather sport normally going on regardless of the weather.

the organisers are dammed if the do or don't cancel and (would) have suffered either way

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

it takes weeks of planning for  BTC (and other nationals /big events) (even a  club trials takes a few weeks to organise ) so once the event date is committed to it is very hard to stop and start again on another date even if riders are free, land owner agrees.

There are observers/officials etc to sort out again, First aid, Food van, Toilets etc etc That's without looking at the sections etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 

14 hours ago, on it said:

so with that thinking set the trial for 1 man /woman and forget about the rest of the entry 

no, 3 routes try to set a course to suit each level and get a winner

so your saying the level is not set correctly due to having the second course ?

No, im answering your point where you said the courses were eased for clubman. Many trials i ride have 4 routes

 

have these riders both rode BTC /elite riders ?

You're commenting on BTC and you dont know these twos palmares?

 

well the alternative is not bother to go and watch which seems to be the case  ,

Again, seems to be, how many btc's or wtc's have you seen 18/19?

 

did I bring TV up no I DID NOT !

As for the top riders wanting hard sections to be pushed to there limit for the  good and benefit of the sport ? Who mentioned limit?  I feel its more good and benefit  to there pocket wage/sponsorship  as  hard sections few can ride keep there advantage going Their pockets arent filling up with sponsorship money for sure, and the severity would make no difference to that anyway.

im done here you are not listening, read back your previous post where you mentioned BGT on a saturday night, you did mention tv.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

 

im done here you are not listening, 

GREAT as we are talking about BTC "BTC " the best in the country stand out but it has had to turn into a normal trial  multi course  to keep running due to the lack of entry (the point of the forum) but i still can not see what the point of sections so hard the top boys taking  5s or3s on them

Edited by on it
add
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 10/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, on it said:

GREAT as we are talking about BTC "BTC " the best in the country stand out but it has had to turn into a normal trial  multi course  to keep running due to the lack of entry (the point of the forum) but i still can not see what the point of sections so hard the top boys taking  5s or3s on them

None of the top boys asked for a 5 in St David's last year   - if anything they wanted it harder 🤪🤪🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

None of the top boys asked for a 5 in St David's last year   - if anything they wanted it harder 🤪🤪🤪

Ok    All  lost marks and wanted it harder !   "all my long  years trialing  will never understand that "  loose marks your  NOT good enough to clean that section so the section was more than hard enough for you .! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, on it said:

Ok    All  lost marks and wanted it harder !   "all my long  years trialing  will never understand that "  loose marks your  NOT good enough to clean that section so the section was more than hard enough for you .! 

You really dont understand that do you?

(Look back at British Championship events in the golden age of the 70's marks lost then were usually nearer a 100)

(Its you're not your btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...