200/240/300 ?

andyjohnson_10850

considering buying a fantic , but what to choose ? will be mostly ridden by my son (not a bad rider) and occasionally me a reasonable novice ( older  ! ) , would 200 be underpowered , 240 a bit snappy power , 300 too much power ? been told the reed valve 250 is a nice engine ? thoughts and opinions would be gratefully accepted ???? :)

andy

For me the best all rounder is the 240.  The 200 is great, but if you carry some timber can run out of puff. The 300 never as popular as the previous two, but for me 300 engine in a 240 chassis is the best compromise. The 309 with the reed valve engine I bought on a whim once,  was very fiery, and in my opinion best left alone unless your a very good rider and riding big sections,  and was soon moved on. Fantics take some beating whatever model you buy....good luck making a decision.

• Like 1

thanks guys !! am i right in assuming then that the 240 and 200 are smaller chassis than the 300 ? so as metise says the best option is a 240 chassis with a 300 ( 250 cc ) engine  .

a friend has a reed valve water cooled (converted to air cooled) engine in a 300 chassis , it seems rather big to me (chassis wise) seems to ride ok round the garden but hasn't been tried in anger  

decisions,decisions 

:) andy

The 300 motor performance is very user-friendly but the 300 feels bigger than the 240 to ride. 240 and 200 are both very good twinshocks. If your kid is light enough the 125 is great too.

240 is not what I would call snappy

Edited by feetupfun

2 hours ago, andyjohnson_10850 said:

thanks guys !! am i right in assuming then that the 240 and 200 are smaller chassis than the 300 ? so as metise says the best option is a 240 chassis with a 300 ( 250 cc ) engine  .

a friend has a reed valve water cooled (converted to air cooled) engine in a 300 chassis , it seems rather big to me (chassis wise) seems to ride ok round the garden but hasn't been tried in anger  

decisions,decisions 

:) andy

I ride a 300 and love it, they are bulbous with the original tank and clip on side panels but that is easily remedied with an aftermarket tank and side panels from someone like Delay in Spain (which more replicate the slender 240), which has to be a much cheaper option than building a 340 as they call them.

The only other thing I don't like with the 300 over the 240 is the top shock mounts rubbing inside of legs because they are further forward, but you soon adapt.

Things I do like with 300 over 240 is a little more frame bracing to solve any issues with bending frames, integral alloy bash plate, improved forks and front brake and 249cc non reed motor which runs very nicely with original 26mm Dellorto.

I like the 300, I'm curious to hear why others don't rate it.

• Like 1

I had a 240 and a 300. I'm small at 5'6' and the 300 just seemed taller and more awkward. The 240 seemed lower and more agile. The 300 never felt like too much power, but flywheel was more than I liked. I always wanted a 200, as I'm really a small bore guy at heart, but they didn't work well on our big hills.

Hi

I ride only the 240 and the 300, never the 200, and this is my opinion

My weight is 82 kg and high 1.78 cm, so i raced a 240 with sterring angle modified and footpeg modified, engine with 26 phbh, well it's light and turn tight but not so stable and i'm not able to jump up and down with the wheel as many do. I suffered the distance between first and second gear and at the bottom the engine is not so strong.

Well most rider hate the 300 and i understand, but modified the cilinder and the head and also put a 305 front fork and reduce the weight where you can, well after this you will find a bike stable like a rock with an engine with good bottom that never lose you and with a correct first and second gear, and you can do nostop zone in second gear with a great traction ..... and don't forget a superb sound when you kick ?

see you

Alberto

I rode a 200 and a 240 back in the 80s, trialling every week. For me (reasonable clubman rider) I found the 200 the better trials bike. It found grip more easily and instilled more confidence. For me, one big rule applies to the 200: never assume it is underpowered, it's an excellent trials bike. It won many trials across the country and had enough grunt to be used very successfully as a sidecar bike at the time. You would definitely not go wrong with one, assuming it's in good order.

Edited by cleanorbust

• 2 weeks later...