BIKE RACK - flange towbar.

Otischop

Hi all,

New to the forum, presently ordered a 24R and will be collecting in mid Nov in the UK.
My main query is transporting the bike. I drive a X-Trail that has a flange towbar, I wanted to get a Dave Cooper rack but they do not deliver to Ireland, hard to get anything like this over here.
So do any of you boys/girls use something like a normal bicycle rack for your OSET's? Within the guidance of weight capacity etc.
Thanks if anyone has any info, insights.

Chop

most normal bike racks seem to have similar total weight limits of 60 kg, but would need to check if there is a limit per single bike, the individual frames aren’t the strongest. Could  you get Dave cooper rack delivered to someone here or in N Ireland then forwarded to you by courier? Or possibly a courier who delivers to you from England would collect directly from Dave cooper instead of their postage

2 hours ago, timdog said:

most normal bike racks seem to have similar total weight limits of 60 kg, but would need to check if there is a limit per single bike, the individual frames aren’t the strongest. Could  you get Dave cooper rack delivered to someone here or in N Ireland then forwarded to you by courier? Or possibly a courier who delivers to you from England would collect directly from Dave cooper instead of their postage

Dave Cooper are mainland UK only so no sending to NI either unfortunately as that's only up the road from where I am in the south. I'm due to pick up the bike in a few months from a dealer in Manchester so will get one delivered to them prior to me collecting the bike.
Would of been good to have it fitted pre collection but guess it's handy enough to fit them with the correct spanner sizes.
Thanks Timdog anyway for the options, 

try looking at specalist parcel sites (such as parcel 2 go) that will collect from the UK and send to the ROI, this has halved my courier bill at work. but i'ld imagen the parcel is going to be large and heavy.

The problem is the ferry costs.  Though I can nearly see it from here FedEx consider the Isle of Wight to be overseas and charge me a tenner extra to deliver there.  This is due to ferry costs.  (UPS have a ferry contract and are no extra).  I am sure Dave will send you anything you want if you pay for it, it will just be the cost issue.

It might be cheaper to get someone to fabricate a carrier than try to import one. 

Thanks @rabie and @ChrisCH

Will check out UPS and see. Weight only seemingly is costing more than the actual product so can see why too. Maybe a niche market for me here in Eire so :)

I'll most probably end up getting one sent to the address of the shop I'm buying from and assemble it there on the day I pick up the bike.
Anyway cheers all for the responses. Ta, 

the other option is to pallatise it and see if can go on a pallet courier - last time i looked for ROI you are up to ~£150.

you could find someone going back to the ROI with space who might do it (shipley ??? - its not something i've ever looked into), dave is only just off the motoway here in Kent

24mx do list one, and ship around europe, but i no know one with one, while dave cooper's work is really well rated around here (but he is from here!)

chris - we have the same at work UPS don't surchage the IOW but DX do. thats when site like parcel 2 go come in as they bulk buy off most couriers and sometimes you can find a way around/minimise some of these surcharges by moving away from your usual courier. For ROI work this halves my costs at work.

Edited by rabie
too many thoughts