What bike

Brettsm

I’m going to be investing in a newish bike , budget 5k do I go 250 or 300 really like the look of the BETA , so much choice and I guess down to personal preference but any ideas of what to go for. I am revisiting trials after a Long break , interested to see what people think. Any help appreciated 

Its all down to your ability, "roughly". Clubman or semi expert, go for the 250, expert, 300. There is the odd clubman that likes the low end torque of the 300s but they are few and far between. This is across all makes

If you’re a bit of a showman and likes to tell/show people how good you are (are like to think you are ! ) then 300 by all means.

However, in the real world a modern 250 (even 10 year old! ) has plenty of power for most people. Maybe if you were riding previously at a high level then a 300 may suit. It’s only really needed if doing splats at 6 ft rock steps !

Remember, going back to basics, most of this game is about technique, not how big your engine is or how new your bike is or what gear you have ?.
There is a well known phrase ‘all the gear, no idea’, in trials I often see good examples ?

Recent 300 betas are very tame, I don't know if the claims that all uk 300s are super soft spec are true but I know from trying a couple that they have a nice manageable power delivery. My own bike is a 2012 250 and switching between them is not a problem.

A 300 gas gas once made a fool of me,  but not all 300s will rip your arms out.

At 5 grand you have enough to buy a decent modern bike.  I doubt whatever you choose will disappoint you.  More a case of I wish i had tried x, y or z first.  A modern 250 is a good choice of bike and the Beta 250 very much so.  When I was looking for one for the other half pretty much anything decent had sold before the weekend and the chance to view it - looking at 2 - 2.5 grand at the time and Rev to trade in.

If you do feel you want to change bike soon after purchase the 250 will sell quickly and easily.  The 300s seem to hang around a bit longer from what I can make out looking at the websites of the dealers and what is on eBay.  If you really are not sure I would keep an eye out for a late model 250 Evo.  Bikes seem a bit overpriced now after the lockdown (push bike very much so) - I have been watching eBay for a year to see if a cheap project came up and they do not.  Even an old heap of junk fetches a good price (who buys this rubbish?)  At the higher end of the price range things look a lot better.  Non stop in Wales have a factory 250 up at a bit over your budget (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beta-EVO-250-Factory-2020-Trials-Bike-Finance-Part-Exchange-Road-Reg/224191454947)

See if you can score a test ride off them - might help you make your mind up.

Edited by ChrisCH
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...