Brake Drums

JonnyWobbles

Hi, sorry new to Bultacos so I've loads of questions as I strip down my newly acquired Sherpa 198A!

My front drum is the 'standard' chrome finish, it is in 'reasonable' condition with a few pits and marks. However, the rear drum appears to have had a steel ring inserted at some point which (possibly due to being unused for years) is dull. Was this a standard modification when chrome wore and/or to improved braking effect? It worked on quick test ride but I've no experience of brakes effectiveness (pedal is on left and rod connected which I understand is more effective than swapping to right with cable).

Are ring inserts available for the front drum?

And (for now) can anybody advise the correct or preferable brake/clutch levers and throttle for this model. Currently fitted with black 'nylon' levers (branded Impac) and a Doherty throttle which is probably salvageable!

Cheers! 

Hi Jonny, the standard chrome lining was never all that good. There are companies who can skim out the hub and press in an iron or steel liner. I have seen mention of getting the shoes lined with the stuff used on fork lift trucks, apparently if works well. Have a close look at the actuating cam in the brake plate. If at all worn, get it reamed out and a bronze bush installed. If left worn it only tends to tilt the brake shoes sideways a bit, hence poor brakes. Stick with the standard Amal levers, they work best. Either original forged ones or much cheaper pattern ones,available from Bultaco U.K. — In Motion. They have the correct cables as well. I use either Amal T 80-200 or Domino twist grips on all my Bultacos, much neater than the older style ones. Just to mention, put the ignition condenser up under the tank, much cooler there, Clean all the coil to frame fittings, rust is a poor earth conductor ! Hope this helps......

Thanks Johnjsy, confirmed what I suspected re. chrome lining. and thanks for advice wrt. condenser and controls. I guess back brake is most important wrt trials but it might be worth getting engineering work done on front and liner fitted on front before I get wheels rebuilt, have you any contacts for companies who can do this?

Thanks again!

I would use the chrome lined hub until the chrome starts peeling off, it can work pretty well as long as the other components are in good shape. I use Domino throttle and levers and much prefer them to the original Amal components. .

Edited by motovita
  • Like 2