198a Engine Bolts & Exhaust Repacking

JonnyWobbles

Continuing the Sherpa 198a strip down last night highlighted a couple more things!

Both of the 19mm bolts securing the rear (cast) engine mount bracket were tight (didn't check torque), but there was some play allowing the engine to move slightly i.e. being cast the bracket wasn't a tight fit to the engine mounting lugs. I didn't want to tightened further due to risk of fracturing the bracket. Is this play normal or possible due to wear?

Exhaust. Both silences are dirty, rusty and oily but externally fundamentally sound.  Theres no indication (ie. welding) that they've ever been opened up and repacked, so can only assume they are as original and so will probably be pretty gunged up. I've had a look through the past posts and repacking seems to be the advice, but how do you do this? Unfortunately, I don't have a welder so if I opened them up to change wadding, has anyone tried riveting a sheet metal cover on the 'unseen' side etc.

Cheers thanks for help!

7 hours ago, JonnyWobbles said:

Both of the 19mm bolts securing the rear (cast) engine mount bracket were tight (didn't check torque), but there was some play allowing the engine to move slightly i.e. being cast the bracket wasn't a tight fit to the engine mounting lugs.

You can junk the cast bracket and replace with a fabricated steel one, as Bultaco themselves did on later bikes. Bracket should be obtainable new from Inmotion, or possibly secondhand on fleabay, etc. Also check carefully the (cyl.)head steady and fixings.