Zap clutch timing video

bikerpet

This is something I looked for when I was starting to learn zaps - I couldn't find anything. So now I can make some approximation of a zap I thought I'd have a go at syncing a closeup of the clutch with video of the maneuver.

I'm no expert, that's for sure, but I think this gives some idea of when the clutch pop occurs. When I started I think I was always too early popping the clutch and the wheel just drove forward without getting much lift. Still lots to work on, watching this video has already given me a couple of things I want to try to correct.

Timing is the hardest thing to get just right I find - it's not so hard to get the movements kind of working but it takes soooo long to get the coordination right - especially when you don't really know quite what you're aiming for!

Zap clutch timing

Any suggestions for improvement also happily received!

• Like 2

That's really useful, thanks. I too have struggled to get any decent information on the zap. I can't do them very well at all.

In addition to the clutch timing, I think your video also shows something equally important, which is you getting off the throttle - I think that's the bit I struggle with. 

Great to hear it's of help! I only wish I had some other skills worthy of videoing.

I played around with setting the clutch cam to also show the throttle better but couldn't make it really work.

Getting off the throttle is definitely something I found important. I think the difficulty for most of us learning is that it's a bit challenging to wind up the revs before dropping the clutch, so we do a half hearted blend of throttle and clutch at almost the same time. My experience is that it just doesn't work. With throttle on the back wheel just sticks to the ground.

Jimmy Ertzer's videos are really worth a watch, he's got some good progressive skill building exercises.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, markparrish said:

That's a really helpful way to show what you are doing! I'd love to see a few more of these kinds of tips... they are very helpful for those like me who want to progress a bit. Thanks!

My riding and video skills are certainly nothing to write home about, but I'm happy to have a crack at making some more of these mini-clips - it's kind of fun doing it anyway.

I find that the typical instructional video makers like Pat Smage and co. often leave out some of the vital timing and coordination detail that makes it all come together for me. Possibly they learnt this stuff so long ago that they don't even think about some aspects that we plonkers are still barely aware of. Can be frustrating. I remember when I first twigged on the right (more or less) clutch timing - it was revolutionary!

Anything you're particularly interested in seeing?

If I can, I'll see what I can put together. I was thinking a stationary zap or "stuff" maybe? Perhaps hopping for traction?, although I'm not sure how helpful my technique might be on that one. I'd like to do rear wheel hops, but sadly they're still not part of my repertoire really.

Ideally I'd hook up with an expert rider and put cameras on their bike then take it home and edit it up. No experts near me though.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, bikerpet said:

Anything you're particularly interested in seeing?

Anything at all would be great for me! I'm still riding beginners routes and our local trials are usually based on a series of steep climbs/turns on muddy/chalky ground, so I rarely encounter rocks. I can just about clear small logs (not pretty!), so any techniques for negotiating modest obstacles/logs/steps would be good for me to practice. I agree that some of the expert videos assume a lot of basic knowledge, but I guess that's appropriate for what they are. There isn't too much I am aware of for some "beginner" progression. Thanks

Staying on the same Zap theme - I knocked up a short stationary zap video, this time with clutch and throttle cams. Unfortunately the throttle cam picks up a lot of engine vibration - I'll work on that.

As before - keep in mind this could be the vision impaired leading the blind. I'm more than happy to receive constructive suggestions.

I've filmed a basic double blip over the same log, trying to show the effect of throttle on and throttle off as the back wheel hits. I'll put that in a different thread on Blips when it's finished.

• Like 1

For a bit of fun I made a video of Double Blip, Zap & Splat on the same obstacle with the 2 bar-cams (throttle cam is a bit better since I rubber mounted it).

I've posted the link to the video in new thread. If nothing else it should clarify my (mis?) understanding of the three. Definitely not something to watch to learn technique, but maybe it's useful as an explanation at least of what I understand (right or wrong).