Xispa mini trials

charlie chitlins

Looks very nice, don’t want to be too negative but I would do something about keeping the lads fingers / hand out of that rear sprocket, everyone falls off and there’s little control where a flailing digit ends up when you don’t see the danger.

Edited by collyolly
Grammer

14 hours ago, collyolly said:

Looks very nice, don’t want to be too negative but I would do something about keeping the lads fingers / hand out of that rear sprocket, everyone falls off and there’s little control about where a flailing digit ends up when you don’t see the danger.

Agreed!!

I've been thinking about this.

I bought a bike from a kid who lost half a finger just loading his bike.

Trying to imagine what to do without a fabrication shop or injection molding facility!

I was considering running the chain through PVC pipe...or something.

I suppose where the chain meets the sprocket on the bottom is where fingers would be likely to get drawn in.

I used to make sprocket and disk guards by cutting up plastic cutting boards... I could probably work something out.

I'm open to suggestions.

His cheapie Walmart Razor electric bike has a fully enclosed chain.

I guess they're more worried about liability.

Edited by charlie chitlins

Well there are two points to consider, first is the chain to sprocket intersection, over here in the U.K. it’s mandatory to have the lower chain run entry point covered. This is usually done by the manufacturers with a simple plastic ‘ sharks fin’ just look at how most bikes are covered. The second concern which really caught my attention was the size of the cut outs in the sprocket, as they go past the swingarm it’s possibly creating a guillotine action. Simply cover this sprocket face with a suitable thick plastic disc as per F.I.M. sprockets.
Whatever type of bike, if the throttle twist grip is buried in the ground as youngster falls off that wheel will keep turning and it’s not just the rider that’s in danger its mums and dads rushing to help.

I was running a trial a couple of years ago and a youngster turned up with an electric bike with the chain guards removed, I said to dad ‘ I am sorry he can’t have a ride today’ dads response was ‘everyone takes them off, what’s the problem ?‘ I explained the reasons, also that I would be held personally responsible if his lad injured himself. One unhappy lad but next time out the guards were back on.

Edited by collyolly
Spelling

On 10/26/2020 at 4:50 AM, collyolly said:

Well there are two points to consider, first is the chain to sprocket intersection, over here in the U.K. it’s mandatory to have the lower chain run entry point covered. This is usually done by the manufacturers with a simple plastic ‘ sharks fin’ just look at how most bikes are covered. The second concern which really caught my attention was the size of the cut outs in the sprocket, as they go past the swingarm it’s possibly creating a guillotine action. Simply cover this sprocket face with a suitable thick plastic disc as per F.I.M. sprockets.
Whatever type of bike, if the throttle twist grip is buried in the ground as youngster falls off that wheel will keep turning and it’s not just the rider that’s in danger its mums and dads rushing to help.

I was running a trial a couple of years ago and a youngster turned up with an electric bike with the chain guards removed, I said to dad ‘ I am sorry he can’t have a ride today’ dads response was ‘everyone takes them off, what’s the problem ?‘ I explained the reasons, also that I would be held personally responsible if his lad injured himself. One unhappy lad but next time out the guards were back on.

Good call on the sprocket. I have a clapped out one to use as a template.