Still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Col5

Hi, I asked on here a few days ago for advice on a bike for my 18 year old son, I got some excellent help and now know what I want.
I’m now looking for 2 bikes.
One for me also. The problem I have now is, I don’t know where to look for them. I’ve tried eBay and there doesn’t seem to be many about for what I want. Is there a good website I can look at or anything?

thanks

I take it you've tried the bikes for sale on here?

https://www.trialscentral.com/forums/classifieds/category/1-petrol-trials-bikes/

After eBay and here, you're next best bet is maybe looking on FB at some pages (if you're on it), or calling round any dealers local to you. TMX used to have a for sale section, but haven't bought that paper in years

Edited by faussy

Some very good dealers around the country , all deliver, I use SW Trials, or BVM moto or Trials UK, All will video clip a bike if your interested in one from their website, and I've never had issues with any of them. Lots more dealers around as well, all will offer the same services, but I can only comment on these three as they're the ones I've used.

You can always go on to Gumtree, and FB market place, and some clubs have notice boards on their websites which are worth checking.

Rest assured, your not being optimistic, 2 for 4K is realistic,  just keep looking.

Edited by jonboy883

7 hours ago, Col5 said:

Hi, I asked on here a few days ago for advice on a bike for my 18 year old son, I got some excellent help and now know what I want.
I’m now looking for 2 bikes.
One for me also. The problem I have now is, I don’t know where to look for them. I’ve tried eBay and there doesn’t seem to be many about for what I want. Is there a good website I can look at or anything?

thanks

Just to add my two pen’ uth.

You say there aren’t many, remember you only want two, many bikes offered for sale at that price will be rubbish so don’t even warrant a look. I’ve just had a quick look across eBay and there’s a decent looking rev 3 200cc, a 250 gas gas, a 250 scorpa and an older, but highly regarded Montesa, to point out just 4. All are around the 2k mark give or take a couple of hundred but bear in mind that they’re all classified ads so are only asking prices. Why not make enquiries and make an offer if they sound right ? Also, be patient, there’s always more coming up every week on every platform.

Have to agree with previous posts though, I’d look for Beta first, (125/200 for son, 250 for you) either the Rev 3 or Evo if you can find one ( they do turn up !) because spares are readily available, but condition is primary consideration not age.

Good luck with it & enjoy.

It might well take a few weeks, but they are out there. Another good place to look is directly with local clubs, many have a ‘for sale’ section on their websites or FB pages, you could also put a wanted call out in the same.

To clarify about best condition, I don’t mean newest stickers & grips ! Check the usual - chain & sprockets for wear, bearings for play (wheel/headstock/swingarm/linkage), tyres should have fairly sharp edges on the tread blocks, air filter should be clean (and the air box it sits in) and oiled. These are all replaceable/serviceable items but have a cost once you’ve bought a bike. It should start easily & go through all gears, brakes should lock both wheels, but not bind, and on water cooled bikes check the fan comes on & off as temperature rises & falls. Riders who look after their bike will keep it properly cleaned & lubricated with all the above in good order with some evidence to demonstrate such, and the honest sellers will point out if any need attention. A few scratches/dents/marks shouldn’t put you off if the bikes clean & serviced. Beware of broken (beyond repair) plastics, as they can be expensive. Mechanical noises are hard to diagnose, some are clues to wear & could be expensive, some are less significant. (I had a gas gas that ‘whined’ when driving  when I bought it, but new clutch & bearings and even a replacement gear cluster didn’t change it over the course of 4 years !)

Take an expert or someone with experience to look if you’re unsure.

So, while you’re getting a feel for what bikes are out there, also look at price & availability of parts across the range of bikes available.

Good luck & enjoy your return to a great sport.