Case temp/oil viscosity in cold weather

dan williams

Went out on a rail trail riding with my wife on her CRF150f. Ambient temp about 7C. First real chilly ride. Huge clutch slip in 6th until the EVO’s gearbox warmed up. Normal after warmed up. Currently running 10W-30 Castrol Titanium Edge motor oil in gearbox. After we got back I measured case temp with IR thermometer. 46C. Her bike was much warmer at about 65C. Kinda surprised how cool the Beta was running. Not looking for any information just making observational notes. Time to try the 0W-20 in the gearbox and see how it feels in colder weather. Experiment time.? I’ll be sure to report if the transmission explodes.

• Like 2

Of course it modifies friction. Kinda the whole point of oil. Motor oil has been recommended in wet clutch transmissions for many years. The trick is to get just the right amount of slip for your particular style of riding and the oil I’ve been using has been perfect for me but the change in ambient temperature and clutch behavior just got my interest. Just like jetting and suspension settings there is value in incremental changes to fine tune system behavior. This is just another opportunity to learn. Believe me I’ve tried many different types of oil to arrive at the oil I’m using.? 

• Like 2

Interesting. I've noticed that the clutch bite point changes with gearbox temperature. As the bike warms up, the bite point moves away from the grip. (Beta Evo 250). I'm going to set it a bit over-close to the grip when cold, in the hope that it will be more to my liking when it warms up.