REV 3 Inner Clutch Cover Replacement

Inny

My son recently bought a 2006 250cc REV 3 as his first bike. We came across the usual sticking clutch on which I carried out a poor fix (new plates probably required as a result). However, this helped but, after being stood for a couple of weeks, it is now impossible to put in gear without it stalling.

He's now just dropped the oil, which was very milky, which lead us to think there's a leak from the coolant. Other posts suggest any coolant leak to the clutch will cause or make clutch drag worse. After draining the coolant and removing the pump cover, it's quite obvious the inner clutch case is absolutely shot. In fact, there are 2 small holes right through the case!

First thing's first - we need to replace the case. Does anybody have a link or instructions for what we need to do and how we go about it? I'm a manufacturing engineer but not a mechanic so am happy doing it provided I know what I'm doing! Also, what other parts do I need to replace at the same time? The pump cover, impeller and impeller shaft all look fine which makes me think these parts have already been replaced.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20201028_184801.jpg

IMG_20201028_184818.jpg

What I would do:

Really give it a good clean out with wire brush, emery etc and then basically render the whole inside with a liquid metal epoxy.
Sand/grind it all back so your impeller fits, replace the seal and never speak of it again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kurtas said:

What I would do:

Really give it a good clean out with wire brush, emery etc and then basically render the whole inside with a liquid metal epoxy.
Sand/grind it all back so your impeller fits, replace the seal and never speak of it again.

I'll give it a go but thought the corrosion may have gone too far given it's actually perforated the case. Do you still reckon it's worth it? Also, can it be done without taking the case off? Cheers.

Edited by Inny
Request further information.

I done what Kurtus said and it was leaking again in months just bite the bullet and buy the inner clutch casing for £100 ish it’s an easy fit  if it’s your sons bike he might not notice it’s leaked all the fluid out and then you will have a much more expensive seize to repair 

• Like 2