Linkage Refresh

mercuryrev

Planning on stripping down the rear linkage on my 16 racing and as far as I can see there are three options. A Jitsie kit, an All Balls kit, or individual OE parts. I've never had much success with All Balls kits in the past on road and dirt bikes, however.

Anyone got any recommendations or experiences please?

1 hour ago, huski said:

Strip it down first,the bushes may be Ok.Splatshop or TrialsUK are the best bet,never tried Jitsie,Allballs were OK too,Sounds like you've had a problem with them

Thanks for the reply

Never had it apart, the bike's new to me and I'm in lock down, so the bike's getting some TLC! It has had a bit of a beating in a former life, so I'm guessing things could get messy....

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to help others, I bought a kit from the very excellent Splatshop.

All went well aside from trying to get the springless seals to sit in the dog bones. They were certainly not spring less, they were springing everywhere, off the floor, the ceiling...... I can see why there were no seals when I stripped it. Plenty of dried blood however.....

If I did it again I would use the wider bearings for the dog bones, which do away with the springless seals. They have less rollers but have built in seals. I'd rather change them more often than have to fight the separate seals.

HTH

Edited by mercuryrev

On 11/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, mercuryrev said:

Can anyone please tell me which way round the seals go in the dog bones?

When I stripped the suspension there were no seals on the dog bones.....

Thanks in advance

The general principle is that the lip goes towards oil and away from grease. That means oil is kept in and grease is allowed to purge out (if there is a grease nipple).

For dog bones having the lip out will also help to stop water ingress.

4 hours ago, Cee-B said:

The general principle is that the lip goes towards oil and away from grease. That means oil is kept in and grease is allowed to purge out (if there is a grease nipple).

Thanks for that, I managed to ask a friend in the end who has done the job quite a few times.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, Cee-B said:

Nice tip for any bike  forum

• Like 1