Advice buying used EM epure or sport

shercobob

Hi,

I'm considering buing an electric motion trials bike but can't justify the money for a new one.

I've seen a 2018 EM sport one for sale but can't find out all the information i'd like on it. 

What type of clutch is it, a mechanical one like an normal bike? 

How can i tell the state of the batteries and are they easy available if they need replacing?

I think only the ‘Race’ (and new Escape R) have a real clutch.

I cannot help on state of batteries. I think ‘Inch Perfect Trials’ in the UK is a good place to ask.  Although I have not received any response to my question to them. 

Thanks for your reply,

i phoned up inch perfect trials just after i posted the question here. They were very helpful. Basically the 2020 model and newer hasa proper diaphragm clutch, better suspension, frame and batteries (that give more run time). The motor is more powerful too.

The 2019 and earlier have no clutch, the clutch lever is just basically a switch that cuts power which in a way is sort of like a clutch in terms of disengafement but definately not in terms of feathering and inertia of a real clutch.

i think I'm going to hold out for a used 2020 to come available

I don't think a "real " clutch will be a deal breaker on an electric bike. I know on the wee boys Oset you can ride all you want on the throttle. I would guess the clutch would only be for more advanced riders or those with very poor throttle control.

For the same money I'd recommend petrol. Less problems easier to maintain and fix. The air forks in the 2020's were very light but also very poor compared to conventional forks. They are a good car park bike

Edited by jrsunt

I already have a sherco st300 but want something I can ride in the garden and woods without people getting upset.

I was thinking the same breagh but I'd rather not get used to not having a clutch.

Inch perfect do try out days on the electric bikes so I may book onto one of those.

From what I’ve been hearing the last couple of years of the EM- they are quite reliable and take very little maintenance.   Well, the usual wheel bearings, brake pads etc.  but engine is almost nothing (so I hear anyway).

I will know more in a year or so of owning one.  

1 hour ago, lotus54 said:

From what I’ve been hearing the last couple of years of the EM- they are quite reliable and take very little maintenance.   Well, the usual wheel bearings, brake pads etc.  but engine is almost nothing (so I hear anyway).

I will know more in a year or so of owning one.  

Hmmm, after plenty of time trying to make these things work, even from new, I disagree. It's not like listening to the engine to diagnose the problem, it's a case of swapping every electrical item there is on the bike until it works. I'd be putting my hard earned cash in something a little more proven. They're good for playing about on, but as a serious Trials bike they've got some catching up to do, even though they are priced at the top end of the Trials market. If you've got a spare 10k for one, other brands top of the line models offer superior equipment, performance and reliability. 

Don't be fooled as to what a salesperson tells you, especially when there's ££££ involved. 

Edited by jrsunt

EM 2019: Good battery life, PELS Clutch is really just a switch, seems decently put together, no failure issues over one year, virtually silent obvs so hugely useful for land access, about 15bhp but massive torque from the off, really easy to loose traction needs very very careful throttle control, if you are used to petrol it's much harder to get your head round at first, but maybe coming off an Oset would be different. Ideal second or third bike. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrsunt said:

Hmmm, after plenty of time trying to make these things work, even from new, I disagree. It's not like listening to the engine to diagnose the problem, it's a case of swapping every electrical item there is on the bike until it works. I'd be putting my hard earned cash in something a little more proven. They're good for playing about on, but as a serious Trials bike they've got some catching up to do, even though they are priced at the top end of the Trials market. If you've got a spare 10k for one, other brands top of the line models offer superior equipment, performance and reliability. 

Don't be fooled as to what a salesperson tells you, especially when there's ££££ involved. 

So I would be wrong to assume they're very reliable?

10 hours ago, jrsunt said:

Thank you, very useful and unusual to get an experienced rider's view of the EM as a serious trials bike in comparison to petrol bikes.

Don't get me wrong they're good fun, and as a addition to the garage they could be useful. But as a direct replacement to your petrol bikes they are a step backwards. 

Like all new bike models most have their problems, monts used to snap kickstart stops off the crankcase, other bikes gearboxs would explode for fun, others would destroy main bearings and others would stop sparking when they came across water. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, jrsunt said:

Don't get me wrong they're good fun, and as a addition to the garage they could be useful. But as a direct replacement to your petrol bikes they are a step backwards. 

Like all new bike models most have their problems, monts used to snap kickstart stops off the crankcase, other bikes gearboxs would explode for fun, others would destroy main bearings and others would stop sparking when they came across water. 

Para 1: Totally disagree.
Para 2: Maybe.

As a direct replacement for my petrol bike, the EM is a step forwards. It goes everywhere the Beta 250 went, and a few places it didn't. On the other hand, the riding technique is different, so I wouldn't be sure about having both petrol and electric. I have adapted to the electric, and I love it. I wouldn't go back.

After 6 months, the only problem I have had was the battery meter stopped working and was replaced under warranty. From other forums, it seems that might be a common problem but it doesn't stop the bike so it's pretty trivial compared with the teething troubles that some petrol bikes have had. Again from forum information, there seem to have been a few other isolated issues but (at least in the UK) the dealer support has been good for solving them.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, trapezeartist said:

Para 1: Totally disagree.
Para 2: Maybe.

As a direct replacement for my petrol bike, the EM is a step forwards. It goes everywhere the Beta 250 went, and a few places it didn't. On the other hand, the riding technique is different, so I wouldn't be sure about having both petrol and electric. I have adapted to the electric, and I love it. I wouldn't go back.

I don’t know what level you ride at, but the limit of what the EM is capable of is far lower than the current or previous generations of petrol bikes. A good example was when Michael Brown (ex British Champ, world no 10, Scottish winner, Scott winner) to mention a few, enterered a British Championship on one. If Michael had entered on his regular Gas Gas he would have been challenging for the win in the championship class, but due to the limitations of the EM he entered the masters class or trial 2 or whatever it’s called and finished nowhere by his standards. (Probably would have beaten me on a petrol though).
Until they drastically change I’ll stand by my words that they’re a step backwards.

• Like 2