Soften out Beta 300

FrankHugh

Hi, new rider looking to purchase first trials bike since 1983 and am thinking about a new beta 300 and wondering how many things I can do to soften it even more to enable me to learn without feeling the bike is dragging me along. Narrowed down to Beta 300 or Montesa 260. I will also be purchasing the additional seat so I can use it as a general trail bike.

other than a slow throttle and fly wheel are there other things I can do? Initially I’d like it very dumbed down. In an ideal world I’d simply buy a beta 200 but I would like to have the option to ride trails

55 year old with zero bike riding since 2000 and very poor bikes handling skills

Edited by FrankHugh

From your description about riding experience my advice would be to weigh the cost of buying a new 300 as against this alternative.....Buy new and you still have to spend to make the 300 more controllable for your tastes.

With a new bike you will suffer a large loss in value the minute its yours. That loss in value could buy a useful trail bike or trials bike depending on which you want to do the most of riding wise. Now you still have a reserve of cash to either buy another bike...something like a good used Beta 250 for trialing or a Yamaha WR 250 for some serious trail riding..(the WR 450 is not as threatening as the engine size would have you believe...in fact its a peach for getting you out of the clag!) I am assuming that you are cash rich and not going the finance/hp or other version of deposit and rental payments...not advisable for off-road machinery. Cooler with bikes that serve a role and not dual role...with one bike, break it and you are out of action. With two at least you can console yourself if one fails.

• Thanks 1

As above get a 250. I had a 200 as well, they need to be revved a bit sometimes, the 250 2019 they I now own is smooth and more than enough power unless your doing big boy stuff !

I have also had a 300, the power is ok, just depends how hard you twist the throttle, the main trouble I had was starting it when I was tired, but I have got legs like a 5 year old !

As far as the Montesa is concerned, lovely suspension, clutch and gearbox, just seems to be a black art to get them to grip in the mud.

10 hours ago, peter_steer said:

As above get a 250. I had a 200 as well, they need to be revved a bit sometimes, the 250 2019 they I now own is smooth and more than enough power unless your doing big boy stuff !

I have also had a 300, the power is ok, just depends how hard you twist the throttle, the main trouble I had was starting it when I was tired, but I have got legs like a 5 year old !

As far as the Montesa is concerned, lovely suspension, clutch and gearbox, just seems to be a black art to get them to grip in the mud.

But, Pete you are about 4 stone soaking wet!

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

Wasn't the original poster asking about a 300 Beta 4 stroke?

I was wondering how to soften the 300 4t or a 260 montesa. I believe at 200 pounds on a good day I’m too heavy for the beta 200 even if this is the bike best suited to my age and lack of ability.I asked the question after looking at the beta 300ss as a possible option. Really wanting to go 4 stroke but the more I read and look on here my original view as become a little murkier. wife as no problems with me buying one new bike but I feel I’d be pushing it beginning a conversation that includes “so the guys on the trials central forum are saying get an electric for back garden and a 2 stroke for everything else”

I made a call to a UK dealer (inch perfect) and the guy I spoke to said the 260 would be an easier ride than a 300 Beta. 

Not much of a trials scene in Nova Scotia so no real chance of trying any bike prior to ordering and little to no second hand market either

Edited by FrankHugh

When I first got my Beta 300 4t, it felt abrupt on the initial blip off of idle.  (I believe the new ones come with a slower throttle so maybe that is no longer the case.)  This was only a concern when doing full lock or near full lock turns while slipping the clutch.  Going down one tooth on the front sprocket helped.  Getting the jetting correct also helps.  I had to go leaner than all of the recommendation I have seen.  I replaced two of the thick clutch plates with the thinner two stroke plates and this made the clutch a bit smoother.  Power is very smooth and generally easy to manage so I would not think you would have a need to soften the power. 

As alluded to above, it is only a 5 speed.  Gear spacing is good but top speed is limited particularly after going down one tooth on the front.  This could be a limitation when used as a trail bike.  On the plus side the standard model is the quietest gas powered trials bike available.  The factory model has a different muffler and is a bit louder.      

I have also owned a 200 2t and really liked it for trials, a very sweet bike.  However, it did fell weak when climbing steepish hills in taller gears so if your trails include that, it could be an issue.

I have not spent any time on the Honda so can not compare but I hear gear box oil is something like $80/ quart.  

41 minutes ago, mcman56 said:

When I first got my Beta 300 4t, it felt abrupt on the initial blip off of idle.  (I believe the new ones come with a slower throttle so maybe that is no longer the case.)  This was only a concern when doing full lock or near full lock turns while slipping the clutch.  Going down one tooth on the front sprocket helped.  Getting the jetting correct also helps.  I had to go leaner than all of the recommendation I have seen.  I replaced two of the thick clutch plates with the thinner two stroke plates and this made the clutch a bit smoother.  Power is very smooth and generally easy to manage so I would not think you would have a need to soften the power. 

As alluded to above, it is only a 5 speed.  Gear spacing is good but top speed is limited particularly after going down one tooth on the front.  This could be a limitation when used as a trail bike.  On the plus side the standard model is the quietest gas powered trials bike available.  The factory model has a different muffler and is a bit louder.      

I have also owned a 200 2t and really liked it for trials, a very sweet bike.  However, it did fell weak when climbing steepish hills in taller gears so if your trails include that, it could be an issue.

I have not spent any time on the Honda so can not compare but I hear gear box oil is something like $80/ quart.  

Thanks mcman, this is all good news and I appreciate the input, what you ha e spoken about is what initially pushed me to the 300 then I got a lot of feedback saying this and that and lots of it 2t related. How much fettling are you doing. Time intervals for filters etc. I put etc as I’m not sure of what I don’t know. As this will likely become a retirement obsession I’m assuming I’ll ride multiple times a week

Beta recommends oil changes at 40 hours and valve adjustments at 60.  You can use Mobile 1 10-40 MC oil available most everywhere.  There is a paper filter and a couple of screens to clean out.  It is easy and the filter is the same as a Japan bike so readily available (maybe DRZ250).  Valve adjustments are more involved.  You almost have to pull the motor but leave the swing arm pivot in place and rotate the engine down for access.  The adjustment is with screws so you don't need shims.  Trials bikes are pretty simple so It is not particularly difficult but takes time.  (I am curious how this compares with the Honda.)  The carb is more work to get out compared to the 2t but once I got it where I wanted it, I have not had to remove it. The Beta 4t also takes very little pressure to kick.  It takes sort of a slow long push and actually does not like to start when given a hard kick.  I'm guessing the Honda is the same.       

From what I have read, the Beta 4t is about 7 pounds heavier than the 2t but 7 lighter than the Honda.  People say the Beta turns a little sharper and has slightly more ground clearance than the Honda but I can't comment.  I find the Evo, 2t & 4t, rear brake to be kind of weak but tend to drag the rear brake most of the time so it is likely a personal problem.

2 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Beta recommends oil changes at 40 hours and valve adjustments at 60.  You can use Mobile 1 10-40 MC oil available most everywhere.  There is a paper filter and a couple of screens to clean out.  It is easy and the filter is the same as a Japan bike so readily available (maybe DRZ250).  Valve adjustments are more involved.  You almost have to pull the motor but leave the swing arm pivot in place and rotate the engine down for access.  The adjustment is with screws so you don't need shims.  Trials bikes are pretty simple so It is not particularly difficult but takes time.  (I am curious how this compares with the Honda.)  The carb is more work to get out compared to the 2t but once I got it where I wanted it, I have not had to remove it. The Beta 4t also takes very little pressure to kick.  It takes sort of a slow long push and actually does not like to start when given a hard kick.  I'm guessing the Honda is the same.       

From what I have read, the Beta 4t is about 7 pounds heavier than the 2t but 7 lighter than the Honda.  People say the Beta turns a little sharper and has slightly more ground clearance than the Honda but I can't comment.  I find the Evo, 2t & 4t, rear brake to be kind of weak but tend to drag the rear brake most of the time so it is likely a personal problem.

Thanks mcman. Appreciated

5 hours ago, FrankHugh said:

Thanks mcman, this is all good news and I appreciate the input, what you ha e spoken about is what initially pushed me to the 300 then I got a lot of feedback saying this and that and lots of it 2t related.

The reason you got all that 2T related feedback is because in your post you said you were interested in the Beta 300. Beta make a 2T 300 and a 4T 300 and some people assumed you meant the 2T 300 and were trying to steer you away from it

3 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The reason you got all that 2T related feedback is because in your post you said you were interested in the Beta 300. Beta make a 2T 300 and a 4T 300 and some people assumed you meant the 2T 300 and were trying to steer you away from it

Good point. New to the forums

• Like 1