Soften out Beta 300

FrankHugh

13 hours ago, FrankHugh said:

I was wondering how to soften the 300 4t or a 260 montesa. I believe at 200 pounds on a good day I’m too heavy for the beta 200 even if this is the bike best suited to my age and lack of ability.I asked the question after looking at the beta 300ss as a possible option. Really wanting to go 4 stroke but the more I read and look on here my original view as become a little murkier. wife as no problems with me buying one new bike but I feel I’d be pushing it beginning a conversation that includes “so the guys on the trials central forum are saying get an electric for back garden and a 2 stroke for everything else”

I made a call to a UK dealer (inch perfect) and the guy I spoke to said the 260 would be an easier ride than a 300 Beta. 

Not much of a trials scene in Nova Scotia so no real chance of trying any bike prior to ordering and little to no second hand market either

I have been on a Beta 300 4T and a Montesa 260 4RT (I also have an older 250 4RT and currently ride a 300RR myself) and I think the Montesa is a little bit closer to what your after stock if you really want a 4T trail/trials bike.  The only downside would be that as you want it for both trail and trials its a bit harder to find an extra fuel tank/seat for the Montesa but over all they are great bikes for what your after.  As I ride my Montesa on both trail and trials and can tell you that with the stock black tube on the Montesa as well as the gear box they are fantastic on the trail and I never have to jet it for altitued.  (thought if you go really high up you will want to be able to turn up the tick over a bit to make it a lot easier to start.  (FYI: I recommend an hour meter that is also a tachometer so its easy to keep the tickover set correctly on the Montesa if your going to be doing a lot of elevation changes on your rides.) 

Also, if your only going to go on shorter trail rides then a Hebo fork fuel tank and maybe an extra one or two 1 liter fuel bottle might be all you need if not then you might want to look into the seat tank set and a hebo fork tank. 

Good luck and as I ride mine for both let me know if you have more questions. 

Edited by jonnyc21

11 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I have been on a Beta 300 4T and a Montesa 260 4RT (I also have an older 250 4RT and currently ride a 300RR myself) and I think the Montesa is a little bit closer to what your after stock if you really want a 4T trail/trials bike.  The only downside would be that as you want it for both trail and trials its a bit harder to find an extra fuel tank/seat for the Montesa but over all they are great bikes for what your after.  As I ride my Montesa on both trail and trials and can tell you that with the stock black tube on the Montesa as well as the gear box they are fantastic on the trail and I never have to jet it for altitued.  (thought if you go really high up you will want to be able to turn up the tick over a bit to make it a lot easier to start.  (FYI: I recommend an hour meter that is also a tachometer so its easy to keep the tickover set correctly on the Montesa if your going to be doing a lot of elevation changes on your rides.) 

Also, if your only going to go on shorter trail rides then a Hebo fork fuel tank and maybe an extra one or two 1 liter fuel bottle might be all you need if not then you might want to look into the seat tank set and a hebo fork tank. 

Good luck and as I ride mine for both let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks jonnyc, I am sure I’ll have questions once I can source one of the bikes in Canada and have it shipped and just in time for the snow. I think the more questions I ask the more confusing it all gets. Very good chance I’ll be only balancing in the garage until May and end of snow season. Thanks again

• Like 1

Beta 4t with one tooth less on front sprocket. Amal 80/200 throttle slows throttle response, softens it noticeabley. Beauty of this throttle is cable just swaps onto  the spare hole on throttle cam and tension then perfect (it’s easy to see when look at one)Doesn’t need anything else, bike is very forgiving and pulls so well in any gear.

I haven’t rode a montesa 260 but friends with them say my beta is “softer”. Owned two and never had any issues or had to adjust valve clearance 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, timdog said:

Beta 4t with one tooth less on front sprocket. Amal 80/200 throttle slows throttle response, softens it noticeabley. Beauty of this throttle is cable just swaps onto  the spare hole on throttle cam and tension then perfect (it’s easy to see when look at one)Doesn’t need anything else, bike is very forgiving and pulls so well in any gear.

I haven’t rode a montesa 260 but friends with them say my beta is “softer”. Owned two and never had any issues or had to adjust valve clearance 

First time hearing of the Amal. Thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, timdog said:

Didn't know about the Amal myself, that is good information.  Seeing that my friends Beta 300 4T I got to ride was softer off the bottom than my Montesa 300 but stronger pull than my Montes 250 I would expect it to be the same or better as a 260 down low with a slow throttle option like that.  

Edited by jonnyc21

I think the Beta 300 4t would be a good trials bike for you. I've come from a dirtbike background, had a 2t trials bike a long time ago but got the Beta 4t last year. Where I live now, I have forest right behind the house and while it's a sensitive area no one knows I have a course up on the hill. I can do all kinds of trials riding but also it acts a little like a dirtbike (its an old KTM 250f RFS motor) if I want it too. Mine came with the big tank/seat but I only ever used it to teach a friend how to ride motorcycles but its a nice touch. Even for the beginner the bike was not too strong (driveway riding, learning how to use the clutch/brakes etc). The motor will last forever if you clean the air filter and change the oil (I notice shifting gets notchy after 15-20 hrs) and the Beta dealer is 40min from the house :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moto Migrant said:

I think the Beta 300 4t would be a good trials bike for you. I've come from a dirtbike background, had a 2t trials bike a long time ago but got the Beta 4t last year. Where I live now, I have forest right behind the house and while it's a sensitive area no one knows I have a course up on the hill. I can do all kinds of trials riding but also it acts a little like a dirtbike (its an old KTM 250f RFS motor) if I want it too. Mine came with the big tank/seat but I only ever used it to teach a friend how to ride motorcycles but its a nice touch. Even for the beginner the bike was not too strong (driveway riding, learning how to use the clutch/brakes etc). The motor will last forever if you clean the air filter and change the oil (I notice shifting gets notchy after 15-20 hrs) and the Beta dealer is 40min from the house :) 

Thanks Moto, sound like you are riding in a similar environment to what I will be. I also plan on getting the seat to use whilst getting comfortable on a bike again. 

On 11/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, FrankHugh said:

I was wondering how to soften the 300 4t or a 260 montesa. I believe at 200 pounds on a good day I’m too heavy for the beta 200 even if this is the bike best suited to my age and lack of ability.I asked the question after looking at the beta 300ss as a possible option. Really wanting to go 4 stroke but the more I read and look on here my original view as become a little murkier. wife as no problems with me buying one new bike but I feel I’d be pushing it beginning a conversation that includes “so the guys on the trials central forum are saying get an electric for back garden and a 2 stroke for everything else”

I made a call to a UK dealer (inch perfect) and the guy I spoke to said the 260 would be an easier ride than a 300 Beta. 

Not much of a trials scene in Nova Scotia so no real chance of trying any bike prior to ordering and little to no second hand market either

Hi Frank, 

Be sure to check out the Maritime Trials Riders here in Nova Scotia we are actually having a fun ride day this Sunday in Elmsdale. The Canadian distributor for Beta is in Nova Scotia and very supportive with bring out demo bikes plus most of us are willing to let people try our bikes. We had our last trials event last weekend but we may have an indoor event this winter... and there is always next season :).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, michael_t said:

Hi Frank, 

Be sure to check out the Maritime Trials Riders here in Nova Scotia we are actually having a fun ride day this Sunday in Elmsdale. The Canadian distributor for Beta is in Nova Scotia and very supportive with bring out demo bikes plus most of us are willing to let people try our bikes. We had our last trials event last weekend but we may have an indoor event this winter... and there is always next season :).

Hi Michael, I’d seen the FB group but thought it would be done for the year. Not sure anyone should allow me on any bike that I haven’t paid for at this stage but I’ll try get up there on the weekend. 

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

The Canadian Beta distributor has very kindly offered to bring along an extra bike for you if you want to join us Sunday. Given the people who have said they are coming we will likely have a Beta 200 2T, 250 2T,  300 2t, 300 4t, and my Sherco 250 2T... plus whoever else might show up :). - He also mentioned the 300 4t demo is the last one they have. 

Edited by michael_t
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, michael_t said:

Hi Frank,

The Canadian Beta distributor has very kindly offered to bring along an extra bike for you if you want to join us Sunday. Given the people who have said they are coming we will likely have a Beta 200 2T, 250 2T,  300 2t, 300 4t, and my Sherco 250 2T... plus whoever else might show up :). - He also mentioned the 300 4t demo is the last one they have. 

I am still planning to meet you on Sunday at the Tim’s . I have not ridden since 2000 so it should be all kinds of fun! 

• Like 1