TRS e-start

TwinsDad

The e-start TRS bikes have not been out too long so difficult finding information on them.  I've had mine now about 3 weeks and so far I love it.  I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to install a trickle charger.  Also, bought a pair of Jitsie levers which were supposed to fit but the stock bolt is too large for the Jitsie lever hole.  Anyone else have this issue?

• 3 weeks later...

If it has a lithium ion battery, make sure you understand the type of charger needed.  Don't confuse ion and iron.  My KTM has a lithium ion battery and I  have a charger made for the ion battery.  I don't understand why it requires a special charger, but I was advised to not use a standard charger. BTW...I am thinking about the TRS e start.  Currently on a Gas Gas.  I'm getting lazy with kick starting.  I would like to hear a report after you get more seat time.    Jeff

5 hours ago, Jeff B said:

... My KTM has a lithium ion battery and I  have a charger made for the ion battery.  I don't understand why it requires a special charger, but I was advised to not use a standard charger. ...

The lithium battery technology is very different to lead acid.  A lead acid battery has all sorts of bad habits and needs care and attention that they tend not to get in light automotive use.  A good lead acid battery charger has the facilities to do something called conditioning which the experts tell me my battery needs.  Generally the charge is varied during the process as best I understand it.  This certainly is the case with our fork lift.  Lithium batteries are just replenished.  Trickle charging is so the battery doesn't get hot and bend the (lead) plates.

Motorbike batteries are much smaller than car batteries and so require a more gentle charge, hence trickle chargers for bikes.

I can only guess that the bike's charging circuit is OK with lithium (unless it was the OE).  They do seem to be "the thing" for bikes in the last few years.  Very sensible for a dirt bike where it might spend the odd minute upside down or on it's side, a bit overkill for a road bike.

Hi Jeff B,

I was told that if I ride the TRS often that the battery will stay charged so that's my plan since I no one seems to use a trickle charger on them.  As for the bike itself I'm liking it very much.  My previous 4 or 5 trials bikes have been Gas Gas and this bike feels pretty close to them as far as geometry, balance, etc. I like everything about it, brakes, suspension, power, etc.  I originally was ordering the Raga model but they were coming in later so I test rode a standard R One and it was fine.  The Raga has a touch more power but I figure if I ever want to add more punch there is a high compression insert which brings the compression to that of the Raga.  The rear shock on the Raga is supposedly an upgrade too but the stock shock is working fine for me.  I love the button!  I'm 68 years old and I used to get tired of kicking the GG so this one is really nice.  Since it's new it starts first kick as well so I try to kick it a fair amount as well but the button is great when you are off-camber or in some other awkward position.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I bought the TRS Raga with electric start but the bike is so easy to start that I only use the electric start when I am in a difficult place to start. (much easyer than my Ossa Factory 2012).  It start first kick hot or cold. If Ossa had this it would have been a sale succes with  the advantages of electronic injection and easy start.

• Like 1