300rr gearing set up

Intotrials

Hi folks,

I've recently bought a 300rr and still getting used to the bike.

It has come with a 41 tooth rear sprocket and a 10 tooth front, which I believe is standard? 

On my first outing I found that the bike rides really nice running in first gear but is a bit quick in second.

My spare rear wheel has a 42 tooth sprocket from my previous bike (300 gas gas) I ran this and didn't find a lot of difference, but have since noticed that second is now only very slightly more manageable.

My friend is running a 43 tooth rear sprocket and uses second much more, he is preferring this setup, I rode his bike and I'm not convinced.

What do you folks run and why do you prefer your setup?

Thanks  

I run stock on my 300RR and use the clutch more, however I have tried a 42, 43 and 44 rear and found that after a bit of adjustment time I liked the 43 better than the 42 or 44 over all.  If I was going to change the rear and only had a 42 or 44 to pick from I would go 44 so that 2nd was more usable and I had an extra slow 1st for really tight section work. 

In the end I doubt I will ever use anything but stock gearing but every once in a bit I consider running a 43 or 44 for a year to see how things would end up working out... who knows maybe I will at some point...

good luck. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1