Dalesman Puch

Dow

Just acquired a Dalesman, does anyone know how the swinging arm releases? I have removed the near side but with threaded spindle but the other side won’t budge. Not sure if it’s threaded or just needs a drift to get it out.

also does anyone knywhere the frame number is?

does anyone have a manual or handbook?

thanks

Dow

6BD37D61-6601-42C1-B262-81AF5FE32FC7.jpeg

BDAFDDED-E8AF-49A4-81AE-DE50793C8527.jpeg

it might be worth screwing the spindle back in all the way, and then back off about one turn. Try a gentle tap inwards with a soft faced hammer or normal hammer with alloy spacer. This might drift out the threaded section at the other end. If it doesn't budge it probably means it is also threaded in but my feeling is it wouldn't be. If it does move, remove spindle and use a soft drift so you don't damage any threads. Good luck

On 11/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, cleanorbust said:

This doesn't help you, but my first bike was a Dalesman. Would you mind posting a photo of the bike for old time's sake?

I’m sure I’ve got a photo or two from when I had one at the age of about 13 or 14 ! It was a step up from an old plunger framed bantam, which to be fair had been reasonably converted for what it was, but I was so jealous of my mates TY175. I’ll post them if I can find them.

Thanks Mark 

I have already tried that and given it some quite heavy persaution but its solid. Then if it is threaded is it left or right because the other end screws into it!!!  Thats why I posted but they seem quite scarce, heat might be next

Thanks anyway

Dow

12 hours ago, Dow said:

Thanks Mark 

I have already tried that and given it some quite heavy persaution but its solid. Then if it is threaded is it left or right because the other end screws into it!!!  Thats why I posted but they seem quite scarce, heat might be next

Thanks anyway

Dow

I guessed the hex head would be for holding whilst you tighten the spindle (it doesn't have much to get a purchase on). If it was threaded it would make some sense to be left handed but a bit of a mystery! hopefully someone on here will have some knowledge of the frame. Good luck with it.

Thanks for you encouragement after gnarling up the end with stillsons lots heat and hammering it’s out!!

cleaned off the corrosion and it just glides in and out. Grease nipple in the middle of the swinging arm I think.

cheers buddy

• Like 2

• 1 year later...