What for 2021?

breagh

7 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

We have a new Vaccine?

Yes, and they've got it out so quick too!! Normally it takes years to develop a new drug. The pharma companies have to determine: What is the correct dosage? How does the dosage vary with age, sex, weight, race and any other variables? Is it effective? Is it safe? What are the contra-indications? What are the long-term effects? And many more questions too.

I think I might wait a little while before having the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

I don't see what the fuss is, trials can be run in a Covid safe manner,both ACU and AMCA are issuing permits outside of Lockdown - Which is all that is stopping us at the moment. During recent conversations with the AMCA it is quite clear that they want to do things properly,mainly concerning social distancing in the car park area. If the Lockdown is removed at the beginning of December we have every intention of running our next Ashwicke Classic trial on the 13th.

Yes, it will be a bit different, but still a trial to ride - It could be worse,no trials is rubbish. The trials I have ridden in covid safe mode have been fine,the measures taken have been no big deal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Yes, and they've got it out so quick too!! Normally it takes years to develop a new drug. The pharma companies have to determine: What is the correct dosage? How does the dosage vary with age, sex, weight, race and any other variables? Is it effective? Is it safe? What are the contra-indications? What are the long-term effects? And many more questions too.

I think I might wait a little while before having the vaccine.

I am sure it will be safe, however you made need top ups or boosters

Vaccine is the only way out of this, no other way talking to Medics (as I have been)

Letting it run through the population, would be carnage and to achieve herd immunity naturally via infection would take decades (and a new virus will be there to get us)

Unless we have an effective Vaccine - we will be in a state of semi (followed by permanent Lockdown) Lockdown, we will never get through this 

13 hours ago, jon v8 said:

..Yes, it will be a bit different, but still a trial to ride - It could be worse,no trials is rubbish. The trials I have ridden in covid safe mode have been fine,the measures taken have been no big deal. 

Likewise our club.  Everyone has been sensible and it has been as near to safe as you can get without a full hazmat suit (bit sweaty I think).  ACU doing a good job.

15 hours ago, jon v8 said:

I don't see what the fuss is, trials can be run in a Covid safe manner,both ACU and AMCA are issuing permits outside of Lockdown - Which is all that is stopping us at the moment. During recent conversations with the AMCA it is quite clear that they want to do things properly,mainly concerning social distancing in the car park area. If the Lockdown is removed at the beginning of December we have every intention of running our next Ashwicke Classic trial on the 13th.

Yes, it will be a bit different, but still a trial to ride - It could be worse,no trials is rubbish. The trials I have ridden in covid safe mode have been fine,the measures taken have been no big deal. 

I totally agree, unfortunately the government health advisers may not share the same view. I had a NHS senior nurse who complained to me about going out ""off roading" on my motorbike during this epidemic stating that it was selfish because I was potentially placing myself at high risk should I crash and require medical assistance adding additional strain on the NHS system.  

51 minutes ago, Intotrials said:

I totally agree, unfortunately the government health advisers may not share the same view. I had a NHS senior nurse who complained to me about going out ""off roading" on my motorbike during this epidemic stating that it was selfish because I was potentially placing myself at high risk should I crash and require medical assistance adding additional strain on the NHS system.  

It is an unfortunate reality that humans are not very good at risk assessment or statistics and especially things they know little about.  I would hazard a guess that doing DIY in lockdown is more "dangerous" than riding in a trial.  I never know quite the right way to react to such a comment, I guess it depends on the person.  You could ask her (stereotype on my part - or him) why pedestrians don't have to wear a crash helmet, but (and I guess) the irony would probably be lost.

9 hours ago, Intotrials said:

That nurse has a point,we all have our own opinion.During lockdown #1 we had literally hundreds of "new" cyclists riding up and down our lane.Virtually naked in their lycra gear only their head generally protected by a flimsy cycle helmet.(More than 4 foot away from their brain by the way many rode) Compared to the protection we have when we ride,in no other traffic or in a small group, I think many of them were in a far more risky situation. (Bit of a dig at the council because of the huge potholes in our lane...)

I feel we'll struggle with observers and officials as most are getting on, myself included . Land could be dodgy as  covid's a great reason to keep bikes off.

Planning's tricky too as most regulars normally have an idea what they're going to ride like a certain series or the Scott,SSDT.

Add in the likelihood of a massive financial crisis and Brexit I can't see us doing much but bumbling along with easy unobserved fun Trials.

Bonus is these type of Trials bring the new riders in.

On a personal note I've never looked forward to Christmas so much since I was 8 bah humbug, 

14 hours ago, breagh said:

Add in the likelihood of a massive financial crisis and Brexit I can't see us doing much but bumbling along with easy unobserved fun Tr

I cant see Brexit having any effect on any Trials anywhere in the UK

I can see Covid effecting trials during 2021 , but that will depend on if it gets worse or better

As for a massive financial crisis , its possible , but  you wouldn't  think so if you saw all my Neighbours - most seem to being having a house extension built or new kitchen / bathroom { never seen so many skips in the road }

No, I don't think prices of bikes & spares will increase anymore than they would in previous years 

every year prices increase due to - inflation , raw material costs , wage rises , currency exchange rates etc. etc. 

cancelling Brexit would not change any of these things

Covid may have an impact on prices 

Edited by djr
spelling