What for 2021?

breagh

We import from the EU and the lack of any agreed deal on intra-community VAT will almost certainly noticeably increase prices.  Some products will also be subject to tariffs, again dependent upon whether or not some sort of trade agreement is done.  I think (as do most people) Johnson was waiting for the US election results and will now be forced to avoid the hard line no deal that would have been the outcome if Trump had won.

I have had countless letters and emails from HMRC telling me to "get ready" but not what to get ready for.  We are near the end game now and soon it will become obvious whether or not EU imports will have to go up by a tiny bit that no one much notices or a lot, or (unlikely) not at all.

My best guess is that it will add maybe around four or five percent to the cost of goods to us on the warehouse floor.  The primary cost will be the need to appoint an import agent and to pay bonded warehousing or other customs costs.  If tariffs are imposed then you can maybe look at 10% on motor vehicle parts and complete bikes, so what, 5-600 on a Beta 250.

It is harder to judge the effect on the pound and we are already pretty low in terms of the Euro exchange rate.  I think it is unlikely that this will be a big factor in the short term but going forward downward pressure on GBP has to continue as exporting becomes much harder.

Chinese and other non EU goods are mostly already subject to the same customs and VAT issues and so will be less affected.  Time to buy a Tenaci Wong.

• Like 2

So - end of an era, James Dabill retires from WTC and professional trials riding. He's had a good innings, but I do wonder whether there will be other riders in the main WTC class who will struggle for funding next year and whether anyone moves up from T2.

WTC enries could look even thinner than this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dabber said:

So - end of an era, James Dabill retires from WTC and professional trials riding. He's had a good innings, but I do wonder whether there will be other riders in the main WTC class who will struggle for funding next year and whether anyone moves up from T2.

WTC enries could look even thinner than this year.

Grattarola said he's ready to return to TrialGP class, after his second Trial2 World Championship. I imagine he'll be staying on Beta and replacing Dibs. Before the announcement I thought Dibs would possibly swap spots with Grattarola and drop down to TR2 with Beta.  Best of luck to him in the next part of his life.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:02 AM, breagh said:

Anyone out there want to predict how the Trials scene will go next year.

I'll go for another year of small low profile Trials.

The majority small low key/club style events on a localised basis at least until mid year, all Covid dependant. Too many issues with travelling, so I would agree with you Breagh.

8 hours ago, breagh said:

It is. I might suggest though that it keeps money out Trials because you can't buy success to any degree unlike nearly all other motorsports.

" can't buy success "  = a deficit of vankers ?

• Haha 1

Brexit Trials! do our own series based on all the great Trials we run, forget these postage stamp intense events. At least the riders would have some fun instead of getting chased down a 10ft step by an angry Beta, 

On 11/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, djr said:

I cant see Brexit having any effect on any Trials anywhere in the UK

we won't be able to get around down here because kent is going to be turned into one great lorry park!!! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, rabie said:

we won't be able to get around down here because kent is going to be turned into one great lorry park!!! ?

Does that not already happen every summer when the French ports go on strike ? ?

I have never ridden a trial in Kent , will have to see if I can get to one in 2021

we had a french test run of paperwork checks yesterday, for only 1 day, motoway all blocked up with lorries, right where some of the good venues are in east kent are

they are building a medium sized lorry park for a few thousand lorries, the big french strike of 8+ years ago went to 6000+ lorries, so the fall back plan is to shut large strenches of our motoways (and an old airbase) and park 8-10,000 lorries

On 11/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, nhuskys said:

Grattarola said he's ready to return to TrialGP class, after his second Trial2 World Championship. I imagine he'll be staying on Beta and replacing Dibs. Before the announcement I thought Dibs would possibly swap spots with Grattarola and drop down to TR2 with Beta.  Best of luck to him in the next part of his life.

Gratterola in trial GP? He didnt make it when he was younger now hes over 30 hows that gonna work.

cant see beta having him as a top class rider now.