New Bike for a newbie couple?

kriskris

Hi Everybody. I am thinking about getting a new bike. I am 50 and have no experience with motorcycles but I am a decent mountain biker. I also ussually excelled in other agility sports like snowboarding and kitesurfing. What would you recommend as a first trial bike? I am also wondering whether I could share the bike with my wife. She would only ride it off road without really getting too agressive. I have much more ambitious plans :) I weight around 162lbs and my wife is about 105lbs. 

Edited by kriskris
word ommision
  • Like 1

At your weight, get a 200cc, something like a Beta Evo, but at your wife's weight, she'll only need a 125 as she's only about 46kgs!

either get two bikes, or feed her up ?????

trials is nothing like any other sport, so while you may have excelled in everything else you've attempted, be patient with trials and stick with it. Bike fitness and finesse with controls can determine how good you are, not necarsarily how good a sportsman/woman you are.

Good luck with it, let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

If you’ve both never ridden motorbikes before then definitely go for something smaller - eg. 200 Beta as suggested above - or maybe even something electric (does Electric Motion exist in the US?). I guess also to consider is what dealers and service facilities you have locally if you’ve not done any bike spannering. Good luck and enjoy it!

For you a 250 two stroke like a TRS or Sherco (as Ryan Young) for your wife a 125 similar. Trials is not like any other bike sport pedal or power. Personally I think a 200 Beta is a bit lacking in go even for a novice but that might depend on where you ride.

9 hours ago, kriskris said:

Hi Everybody. I am thinking about getting a new bike. I am 50 and have no experience with motorcycles but I am a decent mountain biker. I also ussually excelled in other agility sports like snowboarding and kitesurfing. What would you recommend as a first trial bike? I am also wondering whether I could share the bike with my wife. She would only ride it off road without really getting too agressive. I have much more ambitious plans :) I weight around 162lbs and my wife is about 105lbs. 

We got into trials as a family and the first bike we got was the Wife's, we picked up a 125 and we both would use it at first tell we knew for sure we liked it before getting me a bike.  I found that even at 185 lbs with my wife at around 135 the 125 was fine for me, I got to learn all the early stuff and even 7 years later being 205 I can still get myself into all kinds of trouble with her 125.  Unless your planning to go strait into long hill climes it wouldn't be an issue at all for you and I am 100% confident that you wife will really appreciate the more docile 125 even over a Beta 200.  

On that note, if you wife is also athletic like you are I would say a 200 would likely be a better first bike for you considering you would probably like the bit of extra power it will have over the 125's but really having been on both it isn't as big of a difference at your size than for someone like me at 205. 

Good luck making the call but as long as you go 125 or 200 you will probably do well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. I tried feeding my wife but it has not been working for the last 20 years ?. I am afraid it would be cheaper to buy a second bike in a long run! I have never owned or bought any motorbike before. What do you pay for the new bike vs. advertised MSRP price? Is there any room for negotiation? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, kriskris said:

She's not Thai is she?

• Like 1

I started on a 125, and would happily have that same bike back again now, lol.  I weigh 170.

Definitely get one bike to try it if you don't have an opportunity to borrow one first ... I went in with years of gentle off-road motorbike experience, and it was still tricky to get to grips with the realities of trials.  Realistically, it might not be for you for some reason.

• Like 1

If you’re new to motorcycles my suggestion would be to learn to ride on something with a seat. Learning to ride standing up adds all sorts of complications. Consider a ‘twin shock’ bike like a TY175 maybe, if you’re okay with a bit of spannering on an old bike.