Battery powered brake light

ewyasrover

Essentially all road bike and cars are battery powered brake light.

Power source, switch, light. I would scavenge a spring activated, from downward rear brake pedal pressure, switch, cable tie it to the frame, one end of spring on the switch - one in a pre drilled hole on your brake pedal, getting the spring length right, run a power supply through it and when activated it opens the power to a bulb mounted on your rear mudguard in a bulb holder.

Try a 6v system, and you could use 4x AA batteries in a holder.

its simple enough to do, it's sourcing the bits that's the difficulty.

Edited by jonboy883

1 hour ago, ewyasrover said:

Anyone ever fitted a battery powered brake light to a trials bike that has no other lights fitted?

I have an idea how to do it but would appreciate any info.

For a daylight mot and indeed daylight use on the road in the UK you do not need a brake light, you do require a horn and a speedo (speedo not tested at mot though).

42 minutes ago, misscrabstick said:

For a daylight mot and indeed daylight use on the road in the UK you do not need a brake light, you do require a horn and a speedo (speedo not tested at mot though).

Thanks for that, always thought a brake light was required, that's saved me a job. As for a horn, can I use a bulb horn on a pre'70 bike or does it have to be constant tone?

2 hours ago, ewyasrover said:

Thanks for that, always thought a brake light was required, that's saved me a job. As for a horn, can I use a bulb horn on a pre'70 bike or does it have to be constant tone?

Don’t forget you will still need to indicate (hand signal) your intention to slow down or stop!?

All in the GOV motorcycle MOT manual.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles  plus no such thing as a daylight MOT,  It's a standard motorcycle MOT.  The rule with lights including brake light is if fitted they must work with dip and main beam, If not fitted or masked up it's just an advisory.. No reflector needed if no lights fitted either.  Speedo is not part of the MOT but to be road legal you need one. Bulb horn is only on bikes before 1973 so OK

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 3:33 PM, ewyasrover said:

Pre 73 a bulb horn is good, after 73 single tone electric horn.

• 1 month later...

I have fitted a inertia stop and tail light to my bike it works a treat. One I use is X Lite 100 cheap to buy on the bay and last for ages on a charge, just drilled a couple of holes through my mudguard and cable tied it on. I travel on the road with my bike and to satisfy my local Bobby he wanted to see a seat brake light and full size number plate, so I have a jitsie Velcro seat a very flexible number plate that I fix to my rucksack.  Luckily he never mentioned a horn.

• 1 year later...

Well, suppose you want to install the lighting system on your bike. In that case, you can think about installing the color changing light bulb as front and backlights. The good thing about these bulbs is that you can change the color depending on the weather situation. They don't require installing the accumulator on your bike, so you would need to recharge only batteries, which is awesome because the batteries cost is less expensive compared with the modern accumulators.

Edited by ClarenceBranch