Tapping noise from top end - 4ride

RossRT

Hi all,

I've got 2020 4ride with only 100 miles on it has developed a tapping from the top of the engine. It only happens after 10-15 mins of riding when it's hot. It's most noticeable when the bike is idling and sounds like someone is tapping a spanner against the top of the engine. My 4rt has never made this noise.

Before I start taking the thing to bits or starting a warranty claim, does anyone have any ideas? Could it be valve clearance? Oil not getting to the valves? 

Hopefully won't be anything serious with the bike being so new... 

Cheers

Ross

The last time I heard someone talking about issues with a brand new 4RT (same engine) they had just completed the first oil service and ended up putting the oil filter in backwards.  I doubt that is your issue but its about the only thing I can think of.  

You could double check cam chain tensioner isn't having an issue as it can cause taping, and as you indicated valve clearance.  Not sure past that.  good luck.

23 minutes ago, jonnyc21 said:

The last time I heard someone talking about issues with a brand new 4RT (same engine) they had just completed the first oil service and ended up putting the oil filter in backwards.  I doubt that is your issue but its about the only thing I can think of.  

You could double check cam chain tensioner isn't having an issue as it can cause taping, and as you indicated valve clearance.  Not sure past that.  good luck.

Blimey, I didn't think it was possible to put the filter in backwards... where would the little spring go? I will double check though, as it had it's first service at the dealer before I picked it up.

Looks like I'll have to pull the thing to bits in the morning, valve cover is a lot easier to get to on the 4RT than the 4R...  :(

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RossRT said:

Blimey, I didn't think it was possible to put the filter in backwards... where would the little spring go? I will double check though, as it had it's first service at the dealer before I picked it up.

Looks like I'll have to pull the thing to bits in the morning, valve cover is a lot easier to get to on the 4RT than the 4R...  :(

I really am not sure what or how they would have done it but I hear it isn't completely uncommon, though I wouldn't expect a dealer to make that mistake.  

11 hours ago, RossRT said:

Hi all,

I've got 2020 4ride with only 100 miles on it has developed a tapping from the top of the engine. It only happens after 10-15 mins of riding when it's hot. It's most noticeable when the bike is idling and sounds like someone is tapping a spanner against the top of the engine. My 4rt has never made this noise.

Before I start taking the thing to bits or starting a warranty claim, does anyone have any ideas? Could it be valve clearance? Oil not getting to the valves? 

Hopefully won't be anything serious with the bike being so new... 

Cheers

Ross

As it’s virtually  brand new and only 100 Miles seems strange to give it a service.

i would take it it back to the dealer before ripping things to bits.

once you start to mess would presume warranty starts to get fuzzy