First day on the Montesa repsol 260 - not a great succes.

luct4

Hello,

afther a 2017 Beta 250 factory 2 stroke i bought a 2017 montesa repsol 260 becouse i love the look off the bike.
Yesterday first day at the montesa and i must say it was hard to ride. I will give it a while but when changing
back to my beta 250 it felt super light and super responsive. Zapping over a log, turning, hopping,....have 
to learn all on the montsa or....stay with the beta.

Greathings,
Luc

Where i live there are only 2 trials riders in the neigborhoud and where i ride 99% are
2-stroke beta & gasgas riders. I would give it a try and so i decided to buy one. 
Iff i can not adapt to the 4-stroke mode then a will sell the almost brand new cota
and hold the my beta factory 250. This week i have a nother day off the work and 
will ride a whole day with the cota to see what's gona happen. 

Greathings,
Luc

They seem to be a love or hate bike.Ive tried a few and don't think they are as good or easy to ride as my TRRS,definitely heavier to throw about.They sound great and are very well made but I wouldn't buy one.Having said that those that get on with them wouldn't have anything else,I think you'll have to ride it a lot before you decide which is best for you

I found the 260 Repsol to be a lot of fun to ride, makes a proper noise and has fantastic suspension. But, whenever you start to get in trouble, up a river or hopping over rocks, the extra weight of the 4RT really tires you out. I think, the bike suits a clubman rider who is not going to do any hopping around and generally taking things easy, and also suits a top level rider who has the skill and ability to ride the bike without getting worn out. Riders in between are likely to find things easier with a 2T bike, especially when getting on a bit. Other plus points are a really good build quality, generally good reliability and ease of starting. If you are not enjoying the bike, best to move on.

• Like 3

I've recently had a 300rr, after riding 2 strokes all my life this is my conclusion so far:

The 4 stroke grips like a tractor if you ride it like one, i.e. you have to feed the power in smoothly and keep it ticking over as soon as you give it too much zap and it breaks grip it struggles to bite again.

The power across the whole range is great and the torque amazing

The bike doesn't feel any heavier until you start to bounce it around or get into trouble, then you notice it especially when you are tired

I'm currently struggling with timing/synchronising the power & suspension and body action, especially when jumping on the back wheel across rocks. I cant quite pin point the issue, whether its the the extra weight, the suspension settings or the difference in power delivery, or a combination of all, I'm still unsure. I'm currently playing around with gearing, suspension settings and fast/slow action throttles to try and restore some confidence.

My conclusion so far - Love the feel of it, love the sound of it, love how it grips and pulls when you ride it properly, love the power delivery and build quality. Still concerned about the extra weight, lost some confidence on the big rocks and the trick riding, Hate heaving it around when I'm tired and in trouble. 

The jury is still out at the moment.   

• Like 3

Hello,

sound from the exhaust is nicer to ride at home and much quiter for the neighbours. I'm only 1m75 and 62kg and find it verry hard
to hop with the front wheel. Also when i put the front wheel on the ground afther a zap over a rock or log the wheel feels to
kisses the ground with more weight than my Beta do. At the trials terrain in Breda there are lots off teight turnings to make 
and with the 4rt i need to hop the front wheel to make them. ...gona give it a try for a couple off weeks and than decide 
what i'm going to do. To trails around and ride up/off hill the 4rt is wonderfull. 

Greathings,

Luc

Great on rocks, & streams, dire in mud  & slippy going. Need to keep it rolling. Sound lovely & brings a smile to your face. Peerless build quality, airbox  & side stand not the best . Its heavy old bus dating back to 2005.  

Sounds lovely & brings a smile on my face (just the look off the bike at this moment) is just what it is at the moment. 
I hope that it will change and that i be able to ride the 4rt the more are less like i ride my Beta 250?
Practicing at wensday & friday. Took free from work to ride ??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luct4 said:

Hello,

sound from the exhaust is nicer to ride at home and much quiter for the neighbours. I'm only 1m75 and 62kg and find it verry hard
to hop with the front wheel. Also when i put the front wheel on the ground afther a zap over a rock or log the wheel feels to
kisses the ground with more weight than my Beta do. At the trials terrain in Breda there are lots off teight turnings to make 
and with the 4rt i need to hop the front wheel to make them. ...gona give it a try for a couple off weeks and than decide 
what i'm going to do. To trails around and ride up/off hill the 4rt is wonderfull. 

Greathings,

Luc

Especially with the earlier ones but less so with latter ones I found you have to keep the throttle open a bit on landing the front wheel. You can control the weight of the wheel coming down as much on the throttle as the brakes. 
Having ridden 4rt for a while now and on a 301 now I find I have to use the brake more as latest bikes have less engine braking .

This helps though on slippery downhill cambers and drop as the front seems less weighted 

• Like 1

As A practice thing try several rocks spaced just under bike length apart and hop onto each one dropping front wheel then going again.

should help you feel how you can keep front wheel in the air with small amount of throttle