First day on the Montesa repsol 260 - not a great succes.

luct4

10 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Especially with the earlier ones but less so with latter ones I found you have to keep the throttle open a bit on landing the front wheel. You can control the weight of the wheel coming down as much on the throttle as the brakes. 
Having ridden 4rt for a while now and on a 301 now I find I have to use the brake more as latest bikes have less engine braking .

This helps though on slippery downhill cambers and drop as the front seems less weighted 

Hi Jimmyl, how are you finding the 301 compared to the 300? Just a thought if I decide to stay with the Mont I might upgrade at some point. I've heard different reviews some advise stick with the 300 and others say the 301 is even better, I would really like an honest opinion from somebody. Thanks

11 hours ago, luct4 said:

Sounds lovely & brings a smile on my face (just the look off the bike at this moment) is just what it is at the moment. 
I hope that it will change and that i be able to ride the 4rt the more are less like i ride my Beta 250?
Practicing at wensday & friday. Took free from work to ride ??

That's the thing, they sound so good and feel great to ride, but under pressure I still have a niggling doubt. Like you I think I'll stick with it and get used to the bike before making a decision to keep it or not. I really really want to love it hands down cause they are such a great machine!

Good luck and keep us posted with how it goes ?

13 hours ago, Intotrials said:

Hi Jimmyl, how are you finding the 301 compared to the 300? Just a thought if I decide to stay with the Mont I might upgrade at some point. I've heard different reviews some advise stick with the 300 and others say the 301 is even better, I would really like an honest opinion from somebody. Thanks

301 is best mont to date - i was impressed when changed from 260 to 300rr bur 301 is another 20 or 30 % better again. Just the same but much better - nothing obvious but just smoother and more useable Its hard to describe but when I changed early 2020 and let a few local mont 260 riders have ago they thought i should be banned for cheating ???

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jimmyl said:

301 is best mont to date - i was impressed when changed from 260 to 300rr bur 301 is another 20 or 30 % better again. Just the same but much better - nothing obvious but just smoother and more useable Its hard to describe but when I changed early 2020 and let a few local mont 260 riders have ago they thought i should be banned for cheating ???

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the 300 just to get used to the change and be sure its the way forward for me. If I decide I'm happy with the Mont then a 301rr will be on the list next now then ?

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:12 PM, jimmyl said:

30% better, so youre losing 30% less marks?

• Confused 1

UPDATE

Montesa 4RT
-soft power
-tight turns with a little hop off the back wheel OK
-blip and double blip - the bike is after me - slow response 
-Jap zap - slow response but great suspension
-hop the front and back wheel - easy because off the suspension
-trails riding uphil, downhill - nice to ride
-superbe brakes
-drop off the edge - feel the weight
-starts not so easy as the Beta
-does smell nothing at the exhaust

Beta factory 250 2t
-soft power but fast
-tight turns 200% tight
-blip and double blip - bike respons when at the same time as my mind think to give a blip off the throtlle 
-Jap zap - wheel lift faster - quick response
-hop the front and back wheel - OK rear brake not allways 100%
-trails riding uphil, downhill - nice to ride more like a 2 stroke motorcross bike and
the smell off the oilmixture

So afher 2 hours of switching bikes under the same conditions, same tire pressure,....riding 80% Beta VS 20% Montesa
look and love 80% Montesa VS 20% Beta

Greathings, 
Luc

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

• 4 months later...

I just got my 301. Great bike if you don`t plan on hopping all day. Rode my first event yesterday. I cleaned the first section and nobody else did the first loop. Great way to start on my first 4 stroke since 1975!

• Like 2