2016 300rr rear brake problem

evo boy

Hello all wonder if you can help. A friend has just picked up a 2016 300rr but the rear brake doesn't work It just bottoms out with no resistance, there is plenty of fluid in there. Can't see any leaks either but the only thing I noticed is the rear caliper seems to be binding but when I undo the rear wheel nut it frees off. The brake disc doesn't seem to run in the middle of the caliper it's more to the inside. I checked the rear caliper and the inner piston seem to be pressed all the way back in and other side out quite a way. Any help would be grateful.

Sounds like it could be a sticking piston. The previous owner may have released the brake pressure to hide a binding brake or just got it wrong when trying to fix it. Remove the pads and make sure that both pistons are moving but beware of them coming out. They may need cleaned but there are plenty youtube videos on how to do this. Refit and pump up (again plenty videos on bleeding brakes) whereupon all should be centralised.

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Sounds like it could be a sticking piston. The previous owner may have released the brake pressure to hide a binding brake or just got it wrong when trying to fix it. Remove the pads and make sure that both pistons are moving but beware of them coming out. They may need cleaned but there are plenty youtube videos on how to do this. Refit and pump up (again plenty videos on bleeding brakes) whereupon all should be centralised.

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new piston/seal kit as they look pretty dirty so I'll strip clean rebuild and bleed the brake and see if I get it to work

59 minutes ago, huski said:

Are the wheel spacers right?Disc should sit central in the calliper,,does it centralise if you swap the spacers side to 

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought it should as both my bikes disc's sit central. I'll try swoping them round and see what it does. Many thanks

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, feetupsbetter said:

Good luck with bleeding the system. I’ve had various levels of success trying all sorts of tips & tricks, but Evo rears are notoriously awkward to bleed. Search on here for loads of tips but also loads of horror stories !

I know what you mean it either goes right or can be a pain in the a***. I've always had good results with the cheap air bleeder I got off ebay seems to work well. 

• Like 1

If it's not too late, make sure there's free play at the pedal before you strip it down. I'm pretty sure you can kink or nip the pipe running from the reservoir to the m/cylinder if it's not been put back together correctly. Make sure the rear wheel bearings are ok too as they can pull the wheel out of line if they are shot 

Edited by jrsunt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all  so I've rebuilt the rear caliper and when checking the rest of the system found the rear brake hose has rubbed though on the swinging arm. I found the hose on the splat shop so ordered it after a few day of it not arriving i called them and they said its not in stock and on back order with no arrival date . Does anyone know where I could get one?

Many thanks

9 minutes ago, huski said:

Venhill at Dorking would make you one,if not a lot of the road bike workshops could if you took the old one as a pattern

That's great thank you Dorking is only 30min away so I'll send my mate with the original there tomorrow to see if they can make one.

Many thanks