1978 frame colour

Woolfie

Newbie here! 

I've just bought back a 320TL I had 25 years ago and as well as having a bit of fun on it I'm hoping to restore it back to something like it should be (I've already ordered a list of stuff from Martin for a kick off).

The main question I have just now is frame colour. The bike is 1978 and was registered with the DVLA in November that year. The frame and engine seem to have been spray painted a very dark brown that looks like black at first glance but underneath is what I assume to be the original black. There is absolutely no hint of there ever being red on the frame.

I have seen images online of a very early SWM 320TL brochure where the bike is in the red/white colour scheme but with a black frame so I wondered if mine was from the same era? 

b51158e03501b10b13c1129063929711.jpg

Thanks b40rt, yes the frame fits with Martin's description of the 1978 model. The DVLA have the bike registered as being red too although at present it's yellow with home made side panels so someone must've tried to emulate the later look at some point. It was like this when I first owned it although it used to have the proper Marzocchi forks and they've since been swapped for some random forks off a trail bike ?

So, currently looking for a pair of forks too... ?

The frame color should be RAL 3020,. To the fork the very early SWM had 34mm stanchions not 35mm.

You might measure the triple clamps / yokes which diameter they supply. 

The sign is the Marzocchi logo so it is a Marzocchi triple clamp or yoke and such a fork you need too if you want to stay original. 

The Betor fork do fit with the Marzocchi fork yoke / triple clamp too, if both are made for 35mm on diameter. 

I have switched to a Betor fork with Marzocchi triple xlamp aka yokes which lowers the front a bit and deliver a bit more overrun which is good for turning in my personal opinion. 

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 2