Montesa 349

DaveR

Hello everyone and thanks for the add. I recently acquired a Montesa 349 white wonder circa 1981.  My first Montesa restoration..  I am quite alarmed at the lack of good workshop manuals in English and in depth.   Just a few asks - what ratio of fuel to oil and should I use and which oil - synthetic/semi synthetic/mineral oil ?(for my other bike I use rock oil pp2) Also what other oils should I be using for other internals.  Thank you.

Hi Dave, recently sold my 348 MRR. There aren’t many if any good workshop manuals about but plenty of info available on this site. Most 348 (305cc) and the 349 (actual size) would be run on 50:1 fully or semi synthetic. Main thing to remember is that on long downhill sections and when slowing down from highish speeds don't close fully the throttle or you may seize the piston/ring. I gave all my info away with the sale so sorry otherwise you could have had the file. You can download a Montesa owners manual if only I could remember the blessed address.?‍♂️Type in Montesa Cota Manual that will get you started.?

38 minutes ago, DaveR said:

So the gearbox oil is added in the central filler plug just below the carb and the clutch oil is added to the filler plug on left of bike near clutch lever bracket ?

Yes it is.

And don't forget to take care with the positioning of the kickstart lever, if I remember rightly a 1oclock position, at rest, will save your crankcase from being internally holed. Once done you'll not make the same mistake again, no matter how practical it may seem !

Edited by rotors7

Recommended oils for the 349 are as follows:

Gearbox - 300 cc -, SAE 90 

Clutch - 300 cc - 10W-30 (I use Maxima MTL-XL 75W transmission oil for the clutches in both my modern and vintage bikes)

Front forks - 210 cc per leg, 10W fork oil (any decent brand)

Gas / oil - Montesa manuals recommended a 4% mixture, but with todays synthetic oils 50:1 is fine. I use Amsoil Interceptor at 60:1, again in both my modern and vintage bikes

I'm just on the final leg of a 248 restoration.

Will be using 90GL5 in the gearbox, Auto transmission in the clutch, have already put Plutoline SAE10 in the forks.

Clutch breather mod. Tube routed up into main frame top tube. Gearbox breather is routed into the air filfer box, ign case breather is routed up the front downtube and exits under the tank in the space behind the steering tube/frame bracing. Have used clear tubing so I can see what is going on at any time.

Clutch Breather.JPG

• Like 1

Please tell me if I'm a duckhead or missing something here, but why couldn't you put the same oil in the clutch and gearbox like we put in our modern bikes that serves both, something like Putoline GP 10 or Motul Transoil as an example. Just asking because I'm both confused and curious. Cheers.

2 hours ago, fourex said:

Please tell me if I'm a duckhead or missing something here, but why couldn't you put the same oil in the clutch and gearbox like we put in our modern bikes that serves both, something like Putoline GP 10 or Motul Transoil as an example. Just asking because I'm both confused and curious. Cheers.

No reason at all Rod. That's what I do with most of my bikes that have the two compartments separated

Edited by feetupfun